admin
Site Admin

Review: Legends of Callasia - The Stoneborne Expansion

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Legends of Callasia is a war-strategy game that offers a well-paced campaign mode, a skirmish mode for quick games, and a cross-platform multiplayer mode.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/re ... expansion/

EICJoe

Re: Review: Legends of Callasia - The Stoneborne Expansion

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:47 pm

The developer reached out to us just after this review went live and we would like to draw your attention to the following corrections that were made post-publication:

* If you have the base game, you won't automatically get all the new maps, but you can join them if another player who owns it hosts the game.
* The alliance system had existed since the original launch, but the new update allows teams of 3 or more players instead of just two-player alliances.
* The review mentions backstory from the Kickstarter page that is now out-of-date. The setting as since been changed to the 'Great Dark' - the copy has been amended accordingly but this may be edited again for greater clarity.

As you were!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Buttsauce

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks for review. Excellent!

Triggercut

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:22 pm

15$??? Shouldn't this be just one or two stars?

Cgareth

Re:

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:18 am

Yes, I think PT are in danger of badly muddying their own waters with this emerging stars/cost malarkey. I for one, rarely buy newly released games; I'm happy to wait for the price to drop a few months later. So for me, price isn't at all indicative of how good a game is. Ergo, price shouldn't affect a reviewer's rating. If it did, anything 'free' gets a star added on for its freeness?

Perhaps PT could sort this out publicly before it becomes a nagging issue for us readers...?

EICJoe

Re: Re:

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:59 am

Yes, I think PT are in danger of badly muddying their own waters with this emerging stars/cost malarkey. I for one, rarely buy newly released games; I'm happy to wait for the price to drop a few months later. So for me, price isn't at all indicative of how good a game is. Ergo, price shouldn't affect a reviewer's rating. If it did, anything 'free' gets a star added on for its freeness?

Perhaps PT could sort this out publicly before it becomes a nagging issue for us readers...?
This has already been talked about and settled internally. I'm due another Letter from the Editor, so I can talk about it there. Your concerns have been heard though, so don't worry :)

EDIT: Here it is!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

fatsuperman

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:47 pm

I certainly don't think you should add a star for free. If a game is free, for me it's an indication that there will be something fundamentally irritating about the game (in app pay-to-win, or annoying adverts). Mentally I remove a star for these games :)

I find this review interesting. I have had issue with the price of this game, because I really don't think the depth is there for this price. I hadn't really considered the popcorn value debate though, so in retrospect it's a GREAT game for the price of a few coffees.

However compared to what else you can buy on the app store for that money, I don't feel it stacks up well. YMMV!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”