admin
Site Admin

Review: Oh... Sir! The Insult Simulator

Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Oh…Sir! The Insult Simulator didn’t even register as a game during my weekly perusal of the app store, let alone one that I’d be interested in spending time with.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/re ... simulator/

moggylloyd

Re: Review: Oh... Sir! The Insult Simulator

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:11 am

Wow, I'm really surprised this is considered a five-star game on PT. Does it really qualify as this - "Incredibly well presented and/or made, and generally your life will lack any meaning if you don't try this out"? I don't think so, not by a long way. It's ok but ... it's not great. The juvenile humour is an acquired taste and wears thin very quickly, while the whole game feels very shallow. I must be missing something.

EICJoe

Re: Review: Oh... Sir! The Insult Simulator

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:38 am

Wow, I'm really surprised this is considered a five-star game on PT. Does it really qualify as this - "Incredibly well presented and/or made, and generally your life will lack any meaning if you don't try this out"? I don't think so, not by a long way. It's ok but ... it's not great. The juvenile humour is an acquired taste and wears thin very quickly, while the whole game feels very shallow. I must be missing something.
I wasn't expecting JP to like it as much as he did, but there we go. That's an additional complication with comedy-based games. If you happen to click with the brand of humour, then it's hard not to praise because it elicits such a positive response. On the flipside, if you really don't click then 90% of that game is lost on you and so it's easy to question its purpose beyond the jokes.

I think it's fair to say Oh Sir is trying to stand on its brand of humour alone, which is a bold but risky move. If people don't appreciate it, then they're not going to stick with the game in general.

As for the PT-definition of a 5-star... I'll be honest, I was feeling a bit glib when I wrote that, but the general sentiment still holds. 5-Stars are something special, and JP thought this was something special.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

guttaperk

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:02 pm

GOTY?

In a year with Imbroglio AND Rome: Total War?

I'm not convinced???

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:07 pm

GOTY?

I'm not convinced???
It's a candidate for GOTY, mainly by virtue of being awarded a top mark. Whether it actually wins any of the GOTY awards is another matter entirely.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

niftykracker

Re:

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:52 pm

GOTY?

I'm not convinced???
I definitely get where you're coming from, weird things happen when you put a disparate group of games on the same scale, but I think this is a good fit for Card/Board GotY, like previous natively digital winner Card Crawl. The same thing happens with board game rankings, the game this is most comparable to is 7 Wonders Duel, the 8th "best game of all time," but it's still a light two player drafting game and arguments get tenuous if you try too hard to use that ordinal ranking to bring Twilight Struggle or Pandemic: Legacy, etc. into the discussion.

I really do think it's a brilliant 2p card game, and I've played it so much at this point that I barely see the words outside of their point-scoring utility, but I understand from IRL discussion that it's a controversial pick. And if you really dislike that pick you can always insult me via app by sending an Oh...Sir! challenge to niftykracker in Game Center!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”