admin
Site Admin

Out Now: Tremendously Huge Edition

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:55 pm

The United States has always felt a sense of rivalry with the UK, from the early days in which Lin-Manuel Miranda engaged in rap battles with agents of the crown...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/out-n ... e-edition/

biffpow

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:50 am

Great summary as always, Tof!

I took a chance on Steamworld Heist earlier this week (it was either buy random ios games or drink until I couldn't spell ios anymore), and it's really quite good. Smart writing, nice graphics, and good gameplay.

Thanks for the tip on Nyheim, which looks right up my alley and I had not heard about at all.

alexsem6

Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:21 am

You forgot to mention that Obsidian just released Deck5 for Pathfinder Adventures.

Grudunza

Re: Out Now: Tremendously Huge Edition

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:13 am

I'll give an anti-recommendation for Nyheim. Beautiful production, and some good ideas for gameplay, but ultimately it's very random and tedious. There's a giant map with too many locations, and you can only move and encounter one space at a time. There's a mechanism where if you roll a green side you lose food, and that can happen turn after turn until you starve, because there are no strong guarantees of finding food anywhere in particular. There are items that can manipulate dice, but you can only save one per character and a lot of times, they're just not that useful.

The comparison to Elder Sign is what sold me, but Elder Sign is a much much better game. It's not even close, really. This could have been great with better development, but I think they put more into the visual style than game testing.

I gave it a good chance for a couple hours, but it's an easy delete for me at this point.

biffpow

Re: Out Now: Tremendously Huge Edition

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:30 am

I'll give an anti-recommendation for Nyheim. Beautiful production, and some good ideas for gameplay, but ultimately it's very random and tedious. There's a giant map with too many locations, and you can only move and encounter one space at a time. There's a mechanism where if you roll a green side you lose food, and that can happen turn after turn until you starve, because there are no strong guarantees of finding food anywhere in particular. There are items that can manipulate dice, but you can only save one per character and a lot of times, they're just not that useful.

The comparison to Elder Sign is what sold me, but Elder Sign is a much much better game. It's not even close, really. This could have been great with better development, but I think they put more into the visual style than game testing.

I gave it a good chance for a couple hours, but it's an easy delete for me at this point.

Thanks VERY much for the insight! I love Elder Sign, though it too can be punishing in its randomness, but this sounds just plain tedious. I shall therefore pass and continue playing Steamworld Heist : ) And Lanterns, actually. I've gotten totally sucked into that game.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”