admin
Site Admin

Review: The Quest HD

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Tell me about your first time: was it with Wizardry II or Ultima IV, Dungeon Master or the original Might and Magic, one of the Gold Box games or maybe,...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/re ... -quest-hd/

Buttsauce

Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:39 pm

I should get this... I will get this! Thanks for the review!!

riotgirl

Re: Review: The Quest HD

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:28 pm

@Buttsauce

I bought The Quest Gold last year (I think?) being very late to the party. In terms of a spiritual version of the Elder Scrolls on iOS, The Quest is the closest and easily the best open world game on iOS.

The Quest Gold had a ton of interesting content, with a variety of different playing styles and customisation. Like the Elder Scrolls, you could focus on the Main Quest, or spend time exploring, adventuring, indulge in skulduggery, sleep with prostitutes (as well as other important NPCs - in true Mass Effect style), customise weapons and armour, and gamble playing an excellent in-game deck-building game.

False heirs to the title such as Aralon had the depth of a puddle, and its limitations became apparent after an hour's play or so (soon deleted).

The one detraction was the very aged graphics. The HD version has addressed that flaw, and caused me to shell out £5.99 and re-start from scratch - this time as a BattleMage [Hitomi Tanaka].

Totally worth it!

P.s. Needless to say that my in-character name is completely NSFW, so don't go Googling either at work or in-front of your partner.

fatsuperman

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:57 pm

I've been playing pretty much only this since the review and I'm loving it. Hadn't heard of it before the PT review.

Once I've finished the expansion, which weirdly looks like a separate app, I may even go and buy the old version for my phone and play it again. On the older version there are many expansions which for some reason won't be coming to the HD version.

That said, I've still got about three billion other games to finish and I haven't even purchased RTW yet!

Wulf_der_Sturm

Re: Review: The Quest HD

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:23 pm

It looks like the other expansions are actually made by a third company, Zarista Games, which appears to be one guy in Luxembourg who is working on other projects now. But I agree- would love to see these in HD as well. Mabye some sort of "Deluxe Edition" with all the expansions.

It's amazing though that this game came out (and is still available apparently) on Palm Pilot. That'd be a fun retrospective-style article- pocket tactic-style games on old platforms such as Palm/Symbian/Pocket PC etc.

magdymada

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:32 pm

tanks for your time and this review

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”