admin
Site Admin

Review: Rome: Total War

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Rome: Total War, the legendary 2004 PC game, is now available on your iPad thanks to Feral Interactive.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/re ... total-war/

Triggercut

Re: Review: Rome: Total War

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Reads like a 5 star review! I know it may not be GOTY material, like that insult game is purported to be, so is it 4 stars because of the price tag?

EICJoe

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:22 pm

Reads like a 5 star review! I know it may not be GOTY material, like that insult game is purported to be, so is it 4 stars because of the price tag?
We've already made our policy on this clear Trigger, you don't need to keep making the same barb over and over again. The 4-stars has nothing to do with price.

It's a pretty decent port of a pretty decent game, but a lot of people (including myself) view RTW through rose-tinted glasses so...
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

TokyoDan

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Playing on a high-powered iPad Pro with its big screen (how many Pocket Tactics readers have them?) is probably a completely different experience than playing on an iPad that may be 1 or 2 generations behind. That's why I think the positive aspects of this review should be taken with a grain of salt.

Dmurphy238

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:57 am

This isn't available for "the IPad", it is only available for an IPad bought in the last two years. So thanks for nothing Feral Interactive!

biffpow

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:20 am

I don't know why apple hasn't just gotten it together enough to create and market a Gaming ipad. Larger physical size and memory, with more integration for peripheral controllers. How hard could that possibly be for them at this point? Not that they need my help to print more money by any means.

Bernardo Soares

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:27 am

@tokyodan:
My experience on Ipad Air 2 is very good, game works fine without crash or stuttering (I haven't yet fought really large battles). I do have the same problem Nick describes with sending troops away while trying to zoom/move the camera.

stelph

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Playing on a high-powered iPad Pro with its big screen (how many Pocket Tactics readers have them?) is probably a completely different experience than playing on an iPad that may be 1 or 2 generations behind. That's why I think the positive aspects of this review should be taken with a grain of salt.
ipad mini 2 owner and user here, the game runs perfectly smoothly on my device, my understanding is that the only difference is that the unit sizes are smaller than they are on the ipad pro (so units tend to be 20 rather than 60+ you see in the screen above) - battles are still massive and run with no noticeable frame rate drop - they've done an excellent job scaling it to the hardware

stelph

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:27 pm

This isn't available for "the IPad", it is only available for an IPad bought in the last two years. So thanks for nothing Feral Interactive!
Runs on the iPad mini 2 which is 3 years old and are very cheap second hand now, im actually pretty impressed its still supported

Mysterio

Re:

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Runs on the iPad mini 2 which is 3 years old and are very cheap second hand now, im actually pretty impressed its still supported
It's another one of those apps that runs on 64-bit iPads only. Despite your iPad Mini 2 being 3-year-old technology, it was one of the first 64-bit iPads. My iPad 4 is 4-year-old technology and a 32-bit system, so upgrading to a 64-bit system is quickly becoming mandatory. :(

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”