admin
Site Admin

Out Now: Surpise RPG Edition

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Earlier this week, I was sucked into Severed (through an inter-dimensional portal, natch), and realized that comparisons to the tedious Infinity Blade games had scared me off prematurely from a...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/out-now-2/

LordGek

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:14 pm

Brogue is pretty amazing even if confined to ASCII graphics.

Buggy

Re: Out Now: Surpise RPG Edition

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:11 am

I've been playing Neon Chrome for a week on PC: it's very cool, indeed. It plays like a rogue twin-stick shooter in randomly generated office buildings. Each run sees you take control of a new avatar with his/her own set of skills and equipment. During the course of the run, your asset will find new weapons, learn new skills, install new cyberware. Only to fail miserably on the next floor of course. In between runs, you spend hard earned creds to boost your base abilities (health, damage…). The game proudly bears its name: everything is gorgeously lit in colored neon. The music is good too. In the end, as far as neon and chrome go, it really feels like playing an action-packed Invisible Inc. And it is surprisingly good.
Now I think I won't fall for the iOS version as I usually don't care for twin-stick touch control. But I must say that I'm rather happy with the PC version and that maybe some of you better thumb-skilled fellows may like this blend of cyberpunk rogue action.

EICJoe

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:36 am

I've been playing Neon Chrome for a week...
Thanks for the review Buggy :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

acedout

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:21 pm

I've been playing Neon Chrome for a week on PC: it's very cool, indeed. It plays like a rogue twin-stick shooter in randomly generated office buildings. Each run sees you take control of a new avatar with his/her own set of skills and equipment. During the course of the run, your asset will find new weapons, learn new skills, install new cyberware. Only to fail miserably on the next floor of course. In between runs, you spend hard earned creds to boost your base abilities (health, damage…). The game proudly bears its name: everything is gorgeously lit in colored neon. The music is good too. In the end, as far as neon and chrome go, it really feels like playing an action-packed Invisible Inc. And it is surprisingly good.
Now I think I won't fall for the iOS version as I usually don't care for twin-stick touch control. But I must say that I'm rather happy with the PC version and that maybe some of you better thumb-skilled fellows may like this blend of cyberpunk rogue action.
What a great mini-review! I ended up splashing out on this game on the back of your write-up! And I concur. I think I actually prefer it to Invisible Inc, although on paper, the PT in me would tell me otherwise. I generally can't stand shooters, but this one really does have a lot going for it. It'd say it's a cross between Space Marshals and Invisible Inc., dipped in neon, with a fantastic soundtrack. For the money, the soundtrack alone is worth the price for me.

This is a highly polished game and looks stunning on my 6S! Seriously addictive and really does bring out the 'one more try' in me. A big thumbs up nod of respect to the dev team.

My only gripe is that it's doesn't seem possible to choose the class for your asset (player) on each re-run. I understand the game wants to provide a full experience in all aspects of the game - perhaps this gets unlocked at later levels, but in any case, it doesn't make the asset class very clear. I find myself having to check the option screen to see which class I'm controlling. Maybe if I got better at the game, it'd be less of a concern!

Right, one more try on the damn boss!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”