admin
Site Admin

News By Numbers - January 16th, 2017

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Welcome to this week's edition of News by Numbers, where we highlight some of the can't-miss mobile gaming news that's happened over the last seven days. 

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/news- ... 16th-2017/

Hustlertwo

Re: News By Numbers - January 16th, 2017

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 am

At $2 I may have to try out the baseball game. It has been many a year since I went into that genre back in the days of Baseball Stars and that cyber base wars 2020 game for the NES, but there is some interesting team management strategy to be mined there, I expect.
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

Mirefox

Re: News By Numbers - January 16th, 2017

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:26 am

At $2 I may have to try out the baseball game. It has been many a year since I went into that genre back in the days of Baseball Stars and that cyber base wars 2020 game for the NES, but there is some interesting team management strategy to be mined there, I expect.
I haven't actually played it yet, but I don't think it is comparable to the titles you mentioned. From what I've read, the game is a deck builder. It is based on the tabletop game and while it may include adding cards to your team, I don't think you're going to find much in terms of team management or baseball sim of any kind.

biffpow

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:58 pm

I was one of the Day-1 downloaders of MTGPQ, and it did not retain me, I have to admit (unless "retain" simply means I didn't delete it). And I fear Tanner's old review is no longer accurate as to the realities of the current game.

The game play itself is not bad--it's an interesting combo of match-3 and deck-building that has some unique strategic elements to it. Its matching randomness is augmented to a degree by the cards you build into your deck and how you play them. The devs admittedly give you a lot of opportunity to get free cards and in-game currency, and I played for months.

The things that killed it for me, however, include: 1) the aforementioned rapid influx of 1,000+ cards--it started out with a very manageable number of cards; now with a slew of expansions, it's totally out of control. If there's a card that you really like and want to add to your decks, you just need to open packs until you get it (unlike Hearthstone, for example, where you can just get the card), and the odds are not in your favor (even if your username is KatnissXOXO) (not that that's my username) (it's not) (really guys). And 2) the dev's increasingly ramping up the weekly "events" (if they happen that often, they are not events, IMO) which rely heavily on a player spending real money to be competitive. You can play without spending real money, but you'll get clobbered in PvP matches and be unable to reap the good rewards from "events", which themselves raise the level of play to unattainable levels.

While it's not as bad in that regard as Marvel PQ, it's heading that way. That game started out quite enjoyably, but it rapidly devolved with each update into a cash grab machine supported by constant (and repetitious) event cycles and catering to the whales (and not Deadpool's whales). MTGPQ seems headed down the same road.

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:07 pm

I was one of the Day-1 downloaders of MTGPQ, and it did not retain me, I have to admit (unless "retain" simply means I didn't delete it). And I fear Tanner's old review is no longer accurate as to the realities of the current game.
AFAIK one of the stats people track is whether or not people delete the game, and when. I think they can track playtime separately though so you'll be 0 on playtime, but you haven't gotten rid of it. Not sure what they'd make of that!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

REkzkaRZ

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:48 am

Tried Magic PQ but dumped it after 2-3 weeks. UI was the main turnoff. I had a Blue deck that stomped everything so easily it got boring. Also the gameplay doesn't really match MTG at all. I'll stick with Marvel Puzzle Quest!

biffpow

Re:

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Tried Magic PQ but dumped it after 2-3 weeks. UI was the main turnoff. I had a Blue deck that stomped everything so easily it got boring. Also the gameplay doesn't really match MTG at all. I'll stick with Marvel Puzzle Quest!
What's your strategy with Marvel PQ? I've played on and off since it came out, (currently not playing for months), and every time I go back to it, it feels like the devs have made it that much harder for a casual player to enjoy it. It seems now absolutely necessary to spend money to have any hope of accumulating decent covers and open slots to roster them. I love the theme of the game and the game play is good too, but the game feels so rigged towards cash grab at this point.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”