admin
Site Admin

News by Numbers - January 30th 2017

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Welcome this week's edition of News by Numbers, where we highlight some of the can't-miss mobile gaming news each and every week.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/news- ... 30th-2017/

biffpow

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:45 pm

Nick--nice round up as always. Some of the numbers in the last two blurbs surprise me--less than 10% of digital CCG players buy IAPs? That kind of explains a lot about why HS and its ilk make some of the non-game-improving decisions they make.

It's pretty clear that I've been wrong in thinking the goal for these devs is maximizing game revenue while driving off the fewest number of players possible. They don't need to care how many people they drive off when all their revenue is coming from a relatively tiny percentage of players. 50% of your players decide to leave? No problem, as long as they aren't drawn from that 7.6%.

Also surprised at that Shadowverse number, not just because of its more recent launch, but also because I didn't think it had really caught on. Clearly it has. Just not with me.

Given the overall revenue in this segment, I can see why there are three major D-CCG releases impending. I hope at least one of them does it right.

EICJoe

Re: News by Numbers - January 30th 2017

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 am

I imagine they have data that can track what that 7.6% typically does with their time in-game as well.

I imagine it's not an easy thing though, maintaining a card-pool and a competitive scene, and you have to wonder how many updates are "locked in" in the sense that, regardless of what the meta is doing, those updates were scheduled to drop at that time and they can't change it.

I follow an LCG by Fantasy Flight Games based on A Game of Thrones, and there are similar concerns there - they buff up one faction beyond reason, then give them a big-box expansion that they didn't need when there are other factions that really need help right now.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:08 pm

I follow an LCG by Fantasy Flight Games based on A Game of Thrones, and there are similar concerns there - they buff up one faction beyond reason, then give them a big-box expansion that they didn't need when there are other factions that really need help right now.
I often think about getting into the GoT LCG (I like GoT; I like card games), but a) with all the factions and such, I have no idea where to begin (aside from "buy the base game") and b) the Arkham Horror card game plays solo (which is unfortunately how I do most of my gaming at this point in time) and has clearly defined missions with narratives. I've had the GoT board game for years, but it never gets to the table on game days : (

EICJoe

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:23 am

Yeah, that's one draw back with the LCG model I think. As the card pool gets bigger, it's hard to know where to start... they can't just sell pre-made decks like they do for CCG model games.

I'd look at something called OCTGN - it's a free program that has all of the cards on there, you can play around with making decks and playing others. I find the control interface a bit fiddly but there are guides.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:13 pm

I'd look at something called OCTGN - it's a free program that has all of the cards on there, you can play around with making decks and playing others. I find the control interface a bit fiddly but there are guides.
Very cool! I did not know about OCTGN--thanks Joe : ) I will check out the guides as soon as I have a chance.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”