admin
Site Admin

Review: Age of Rivals

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:40 pm

We’re at the point now with the card collecting game genre that it’s necessary to subvert the genre - or at least bolt some kind of gimmick on the side...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/re ... of-rivals/

TheShoes76

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:42 pm

I've been playing this game nonstop over the weekend, and I love it. Good review, but I disagree with your comment here:

"Here, once a round has ended, of the eight cards you have, four are burned, and the other four go back into your hand. Because of this, you can never fully implement a game plan."

I think this is actually one of the interesting things about the game, because you CAN implement a game plan, you just often have to play for the 4th round to see it come to fruition. Or, sometimes the best course of action is to scrap whatever it is you're hoping to accomplish and play round by round. I've won both ways.

I find the AI to be pretty fun--it has a lot of different strategies, and some are pretty sneaky. For example, if you're not paying attention, they often amass a ton of money and then buy tons of points in round 4 to come from behind.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Fastspinecho

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Constructing a deck during the course of the game (aka "deckbuilding") is hardly novel. Dominion introduced the concept in 2008, and there were plenty of mobile deckbuilding games before this one (for example Dream Quest which was reviewed here ages ago).

What this game brings to the table is a combination of deckbuilding and 7 Wonders style drafting. This review didn't comment on the drafting system, but cards you don't buy may become available to your opponent. Since all purchases are openly visible, you may occasionally need to buy a card to keep it out of the hands of your opponent.

acedout

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 pm

EDITOR: "starts of daunting"!

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 pm

EDITOR: "starts of daunting"!
Don't know what you're talking about Ace.

(Thank you)

Also spotted a use of the word "addicting". I don't think so.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

acedout

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 pm

I love this game! For me it's a clear 5 star game.

acedout

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:12 pm

acedout wrote:EDITOR: "starts of daunting"!
Don't know what you're talking about Ace.

(Thank you)

Also spotted a use of the word "addicting". I don't think so.
I see what you did there ;)

I think addicting == addictive (for the most-part), although it's more American I think.

Kirian42

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:43 pm

The issue I have with the luck structure of the game is that there are at least three places where luck is important: (1) Which cards appear in the tableaux (the luck of Ascension/Star Realms), (2) The luck of which cards are carried into the 2nd and 3rd rounds (rather similar to the events in Through the Ages, which can destroy or boost your progress), (3) Knockout/attack luck--multiple cards and card combos can render a card of yours useless at random, making it then a candidate to be ruined (similar to the random craziness cards in Hearthstone).

Each of these types of luck is generally considered the worst aspect of a game they're derived from. Having one of them would have been fine because, hey, you need *some* luck (in most games). But all three just destroys the fun for me.

It was worth the dollar, but it's already uninstalled.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”