admin
Site Admin

News by Numbers - 10th July 2017

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Welcome to News by Numbers, where I highlight some of the can't-miss mobile gaming news each week. Sorcery!: $0Inkle Studios adaptation of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! has been wildly successful, the model...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/n ... july-2017/

Mysterio

Re: News by Numbers - 10th July 2017

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Looks like registration for the 7 Wonders closed beta is now closed. :(

LordGek

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Super minor geeky correction re: Smashup. While it is true the base set is 8 factions, the digital port, originally on Steam and now going mobile, also has a 9th faction, the Geeks, based largely on Wil Wheaton's web series, TableTop.

lopett3

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:20 am

I tried to register to beta team via the Asmodee form following the link
I click but there is no form
Someone can help
Thanks

Commander Cello

Re:

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Super minor geeky correction re: Smashup. While it is true the base set is 8 factions, the digital port, originally on Steam and now going mobile, also has a 9th faction, the Geeks, based largely on Wil Wheaton's web series, TableTop.
Thanks, Gek! Article amended.

parakleta

Re: News by Numbers - 10th July 2017

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm pretty cranky Slitherine is abandoning so many games. They were the company that originally convinced me to pay a premium price for premium games and I expected better from them. The least they could do is offer coupons or vouchers for their online store, and maybe I could swap the iOS versions for PC versions and keep playing.

This whole 64 bit transition thing is making me reconsider the value proposition of premium iOS titles, it seems I would be much better just buying budget PC titles through Humble Bundle or Steam or GOG and at least I can keep them running forever.

CarlRJ

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:41 pm

I'm pretty cranky Slitherine is abandoning so many games. They were the company that originally convinced me to pay a premium price for premium games and I expected better from them.
I feel the same. I spent a couple hundred dollars on their apps (in part because of glowing reviews on this site, back in the Owen days), and a lot of those apps are going to self-destruct in a couple of months, because it would take a lot of effort to update them. Meanwhile, a couple paragraphs earlier, Codito, whom I spent merely dozens of dollars buying apps from, is coming out of retirement to fix their apps for 64 bits. Pretty stark contrast.

ImInnocent

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Is Panzer Corps getting a 64 bit update from Slitherine?

CarlRJ

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Panzer Corps is 64-bit compatible already (roughly half of Slitherine's apps are). It's on my iPad and not listed in Settings > General > Applications, which shows a list of apps currently on your device that are not 64-bit compatible (they describe it in less nerdy terms, "These apps may slow down your iPad and will not work with future versions of iOS if they are not updated"). It's worth taking a look to see what else is at risk.

In other news, it looks like Slitherine got pissy at people discussing this on their forum, and have now locked the relevant thread: Slitherine Forums - Will iOS 64 Bit Support come for iOS 11?. Pretty poor way to treat loyal customers, many of whom invested (what is for the App Store ecosystem) enormous amounts of money in Slitherine's games.

jeffy777

Re:

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:38 am

Panzer Corps is 64-bit compatible already (roughly half of Slitherine's apps are). It's on my iPad and not listed in Settings > General > Applications, which shows a list of apps currently on your device that are not 64-bit compatible (they describe it in less nerdy terms, "These apps may slow down your iPad and will not work with future versions of iOS if they are not updated"). It's worth taking a look to see what else is at risk.

In other news, it looks like Slitherine got pissy at people discussing this on their forum, and have now locked the relevant thread: Slitherine Forums - Will iOS 64 Bit Support come for iOS 11?. Pretty poor way to treat loyal customers, many of whom invested (what is for the App Store ecosystem) enormous amounts of money in Slitherine's games.
Very disappointed in how they're handling this. Their apps were once considered top of the line, and you had to pay top dollar to get in the door. Now it just feels like they took the money and ran, all the while acting as though they're being persecuted by Apple and also claiming their mobile apps didn't sell very well in the first place (yeaaah right). Not professional at all, to say the least. I've bought several of their games, and I still had a few of their apps on my wishlist, but I won't even consider their new stuff after the way they've handled this situation.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”