admin
Site Admin

Out Now: Extremely Limited Edition

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Welcome to Out Now, where we give you the heads up and low down on the best new releases in strategy titles and digital card and board games (and the...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/o ... d-edition/

RedPanda

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Nothing that fits with your re-emphasised tactics slant, but Technobabylon is out for iOS and The Girl Who Sold The World is out on iOS and Android. The former is a proven point and click, the latter an interesting sounding audio adventure.

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Nothing that fits with your re-emphasised tactics slant, but Technobabylon is out for iOS and The Girl Who Sold The World is out on iOS and Android. The former is a proven point and click, the latter an interesting sounding audio adventure.
Thanks Panada - to be honest, I'm perfectly happy for the community themselves to float up anything they found interesting that we don't talk about. Like you said, for the moment we're trying to re-focus into a select group of genres, but a good game is a good game, so everyone is more than welcome to share!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Sythwraith

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:43 pm

I thought for sure you would list Tunnels and Trolls Adventures being out now. Story driven RPG where you roll a character. Haven't tried it yet but looks like it might have potential.

NICKVIGDAHL

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 pm

I thought for sure you would list Tunnels and Trolls Adventures being out now. Story driven RPG where you roll a character. Haven't tried it yet but looks like it might have potential.
Gamebook type stuff like that, Fighting Fantasy Legends, and Sorcery are out. I'll defer to Joe for any explanation. :)

biffpow

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:10 am

Gamebook stuff is out??? Joe, you got some 'splainin to do.....

skoptic

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:39 pm

The site used to just give great editorial about good games that caught the attention of the team regardless of type and that charm was infectious. Post changes, the uniqueness and life is being sucked out with by-the-numbers daily articles and stringent category rules based on community led polls.... I didn't want to be a naysayer and get the boot in after the change in team, but really, I'm just not feeling it :(

EICJoe

Re: Out Now: Extremely Limited Edition

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey guys,

Again - thank you all so much for sticking around and giving feedback. I don't want you to think you're being ignored. All I can really say is, for every one of you that are now voicing displeasure with some of the changes, I had just as many tell me through the poll that they wished the site went back to its strategy-focused roots.

Maybe I'm being a tad too reactionary here, but as I've stated a couple of times, what we were doing before wasn't really working, so something has to change, if only so I can observe the results, see what happens. If we go back to just doing what we were doing before anyway, it will have been worth it so long as I've learned something.

This site built it's reputation on a specific genre and idea - is it really so bad we try and recapture that? Is our coverage of Gamebooks, or Puzzles, really what keeps you coming back here day after day?
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Hustlertwo

Re: Out Now: Extremely Limited Edition

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Well, I came here for the site name (given my love of SRPGs) but I stayed because I liked a site that reviewed serious apps (read: not freemium junk, lame Minecraft cash-ins, repetitive creature 'simulators' or grindy garbage, among others), tactical or not. After finding this site in early '16, your Best Of year-end lists that covered a variety of genres helped me fill in a lot of gaps in my collection. Indeed, a lot of the stuff that falls into PT's professed wheelhouse does not much appeal to me. I'm a lot more likely to drop money on a Death Road to Canada than Pike and Shot, for instance. I cannot speak for anyone else, but my ideal site would be one that covers select titles from a wider genre base, especially since there's already other sites in this 'family' that more specifically cater to strategy (and which, to be honest, I summarily ignore in favor of PT). If that's not here, I will have to keep looking for my primary source of app info and reviews, though I still intend to read PT at least occasionally no matter what. And I will go against the grain and say I do like how you dropped coverage for free games. It's true some are worthwhile out there, but we all know full well most freemium titles aren't worth the time. With limited review space on the site, better to use them winnowing down the premium games to help buyers determine which ones are worth the investment.

Of course, it's also true that none of us regular readers sees behind the curtain to which articles get the most or least hits, what features or authors fare better than others. I think you made the right call not keeping on with more of the same if you felt that things weren't working as is. And if I find the new direction a touch less appealing, doesn't mean the silent majority may not think differently.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”