admin
Site Admin

Out Now: Meteor Edition

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Happy Friday dear gamers. It's a bit of a slow week for Pocket Tactics approved fare, but we do have two great new games to occupy your time and another...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/o ... r-edition/

Grudunza

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Meteorfall is fine, and it's fun enough for a while, but ultimately it seems very thin to me. It's a flea on the butt of Dream Quest, really, in terms of depth and replayability. And it kind of feels arbitrary, with the way you just play each card one at a time in order and hope they work out for you. For example, cards that you bought that are like, "gives you a bonus if this card killed the monster" are extremely random as far as whether that will ever happen, because you don't really have control over that. Whereas if you had a hand of cards, sure, you can probably use that one for the death blow. And the energy/action system seems tedious, and again, a bit arbitrary... "Oh hey, there's that card I was waiting for! Great! Oh no, I'm out of energy and need to swipe it left. Crap."

So for $3, eh, it's okay. But Dream Quest is also $3 right now, and about a hundred times better and more interesting. If Meteorfall ends up being GOTY, then it was a very weak year.

G Mahler

Re: Out Now: Meteor Edition

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:57 am

The misstep being made here is that Meteorfall has absolutely nothing in common with Dream Quest so comparing the two is not a prudent conversation. Dream Quest has elements of a Dungeon Crawl while Meteorfall does not and DC uses a card selection process (which by the way, 90% of the time you press select all anyway) while MF uses a swipe mechanic. No, leave Dream Quest off the table and simply enjoy Meteorfall on its own merits.

Grudunza

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:20 am

Huh?? "Absolutely nothing in common"?? Meteorfall is VERY much like Dream Quest. Or rather, DQ Lite. Characters with custom decks of cards, which new ones are added to, upgraded or culled from; enemies with a deck of their own, that you run through towards a boss; very similar types of card effects; similar "stores" and "temples." I believe I recall the Meteorfall designer even acknowledging a large DQ influence and inspiration in an earlier preview article somewhere. Yes, here on his blog: https://meteorfallblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/30/test/

Whether or not you usually play all of the cards in your hand in DQ, there is a hand of cards... you cycle through them and have access to several on a single turn. You have a better sense of what you've gone through and what is coming up. In Meteorfall, one card at a time tells you almost nothing and makes it very arbitrary about when certain cards will be useful.

fadedc

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:59 pm

I agree with Gradunza, Meteorfall is a decent ap, but I finished it and was done pretty quickly. It doesn't have a lot of depth to it, there aren't that many different cards or things to unlock. The enemies are all pretty generic and don't require different strategies, and once I figured out how to play there wasn't much depth to the deck building or decision making. It was still definitely worth the $3 I spent, but I felt a little let down after all the hype.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”