admin
Site Admin

Review: Siege of Dragonspear

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Whaelar the Wise: What say ye, traveller? Will you return to the Sword Coast, to Baldur's Gate: The Siege of Dragonspear?

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/re ... agonspear/

Zenish

Re: <t>Review: Siege of Dragonspear</t>

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:15 pm

An attempt to expand the boundaries of the storytelling permitted in these lands has resulted in an intense political backlash from conservative factions. In truth, there is nothing in these pages that will upset any reasonable person unduly. However, a concerted effort on this minority faction has resulted in lower-than-accurate public consensus regarding the game.
Huh? This is a completely bizarre paragraph. Would you be more specific or provide a link or something?

Actually, now that I think about it, if you were bringing politics into a game review, you should consider deleting this paragraph. It's totally out of place.

biffpow

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:58 pm

This is a very round-about way of trying not to to say anything about what other people have said so as not to offend any one on either side of the issue.

This game has been on PC for a while now, and a vocal number of long-time BG fans criticized the game for its poor writing--plot and dialogue. As a long-time BG fan, I watched these discussions at the time, and eventually tried the game myself.

The writing isn't as good, there's no question about that. Some of the plot elements could be seen as taking liberties with the original BG and BG2 long-arc. To me, these are valid criticisms. And as the reviewer rightly concludes, this isn't on the same level overall as BG or BG2.

That said, I was and am glad to have more adventures in the BG world with many of the old companions I'd grown to enjoy. And to give the game any meat at all, the plot would have to sort of stretch a little, being that this is chronologically between BG and BG2, so I think that's easy to just sort of go with.

EICJoe

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Yeah I checked in with Richard and asked him to clarify. Seems there was some semi-political who-hah around the game's writing etc... when it was originally released.

I agree, that paragraph is less than ideal but it was a consequence of how Richard choose to style his review, which I quite like. I don't see any pressing reason to delete it right now, and it's nothing to worry about, anyway.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Zenish

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 pm

Understood. No worries.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”