admin
Site Admin

Review: Lost in The Dungeon

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Oddly enough, the linear nature of Lost in The Dungeon makes it is impossible to actually get lost, even for someone with my dodgy sense of direction.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/lo ... e-dungeon/

KingJoshington

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:30 am

I'm not really sure how I feel about this review. Is this similar in terms of brutal difficulty to Dream Quest? That had bad art and CRUSHING difficulty.
If the only parts holding this game to a middle 3-star review is the difficulty and the bad art, that's not so bad.

It seems more like the reviewer was bothered by the repetition?

Grudunza

Re: <t>Review: Lost in The Dungeon</t>

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:57 pm

This game is pretty decent, but it doesn’t give enough for the time invested. Becomes tedious after a while. The progression of reward and advancement to time spent is not good. It also isn’t that interesting playing just one card every time. Yes, it’s a tough choice about which one to play, and that’s good, but it’s just more fun being able to combo things.

Dream Quest, on the other hand, is the best iOS game ever, IMO. And yes, very hard. But I still play that with some regularity what, five years later. Much more interesting, and though challenging, I always felt like I was improving with repeated plays. Beating the third dungeon (if not the final boss) is still very satisfying for me, every time. And that’s a somewhat regular occurrence at this point, so if it seems painfully hard, hang in there. It’s worth it.

Card Quest, on Steam and Android now and coming to iOS soon, is excellent, and more comparable to Dream Quest in quality, though also quite different in the way it plays, which is cool.

Grudunza

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:45 pm

I'll update my last comment a little, specifically about Lost in the Dungeon. I do like it. The aspect of pushing your luck to continue or not is good, and the way the items and card/deck upgrades work is decent. The combat system is decent, even with just the one card at a time thing. I just think it doesn't quite reach being something amazing.

Some suggestions, in case the developers are tuning in here...

Discarding a card to get 2 Shield is fine, but I think it would be better if that had a more meaningful or varied value, because that often isn't useful, or is just lost between rooms, anyway. So perhaps something like discarding gives you either 2 Shield, 2 Energy, 2 Mana, 1 health, or 1 attack. (Or just 1 or 2 of each, to simplify that.) Or... don't automatically remove all excess Shield strength with each new room of monsters. That way, discarding a few cards while you're waiting for the poison to kill the last monster doesn't feel completely wasted. Maybe reduce Shields by 4 between rooms (similar to how Energy is only replenished by 4 between rooms), which might still leave you better than your base Shield strength. It would be a small way to make that 2 Shield discard more valuable.

Note that I'm NOT suggesting that as a "wah wah, this game is too hard!" kind of thing. I like that it's hard, and perhaps something else could offset that in terms of difficulty. It's just that it would help you feel like you're affecting your game a little more when that discard is your only real option (which is fairly often in some cases).

Another suggestion would be to be able to discard more than one card. When your deck has 20 cards, and you only get 1 new card every turn, and you're dealt your 2 antidotes right away, they feel wasted at that point, but can take forever to turn up again when you'll need them later from spiders and snakes. Even just one more discard a turn, for the turns when you have nothing better to do than discard, would help cycle your deck better and give you just a little bit more control.

As it is, your success/failure feels somewhat arbitrary, and as I said in my previous comment, it all becomes pretty tedious. I can spend a half hour going through the rooms, doing about as good as I would think is possible, but then that final room kills me because I don't happen to have an antidote or healing potion come up at the right time. Sure, roguelikes are that way, but I'm not feeling like I had much choice in the matter most of the time with this.

The items you get in the chests are fine, but they're all essentially the same after a short while, and I usually just end up going back and selling them, and then returning again to get some more, and eventually to level up and get another card. In individual measures, it's pretty fun, but as a whole, again, there's a tedious nature to it. Find a way to make the whole thing flow a little more, with some more fluid advancement and reward, and this would be terrific. As it is, though, I can't see myself grinding it all out for too much longer.

Zoppy

Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:58 pm

We are always listening... We are preparing some new content! Probably ready in a week or two.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”