admin
Site Admin

Review: Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:20 am

The problem that I have with naval games is what I call the ‘wall of death’.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/ca ... adalcanal/

DotComCTO

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:39 pm

Great news! I was wondering when PT would get around to reviewing Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal! The author has done a lot to keep enhancing and supporting the game, and that's to be commended. This is a niche title for sure, but it most definitely scratches my 1970s-hex-based-naval-wargaming itch!

As an aside, you can buy many things in the game, including multiplayer & the ability to change certain game options. Here's the IAP list:

- Multiplayer (2-player game over internet, turn by turn - you can play the Japanese side this way) - $1.99

- Options: Weather + what-ifs for the scenarios in order to test the effects of some likely events. Ex: what would happen if the Japanese had committed their whole carrier forces to invade Port Moresby, what-if the Saratoga was repaired on time for the battle of Midway, etc. ($0.99)

Each of the extra scenarios cost $0.99:
- The End of Rabaul: A 7th scenario covering the US landing at Bougainville and airstrikes against Rabaul in November 1943
- Operation Ke: A 8th scenario covering the evacuation of Guadalcanal by Japanese troops in Jan/Feb 1943
- Operation Watchtower: A 9th scenario covering the US invasion of Guadalcanal in August 1942
- Revenge Raids: A 10th scenario covering the US carrier raids against Japanese positions in Feb/Mar 1942

I do wish there was a bundle option to buy all the IAP at once.

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 am

Great news! I was wondering when PT would get around to reviewing Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal! The author has done a lot to keep enhancing and supporting the game, and that's to be commended. This is a niche title for sure, but it most definitely scratches my 1970s-hex-based-naval-wargaming itch!

As an aside, you can buy many things in the game, including multiplayer & the ability to change certain game options. Here's the IAP list:

- Multiplayer (2-player game over internet, turn by turn - you can play the Japanese side this way) - $1.99

- Options: Weather + what-ifs for the scenarios in order to test the effects of some likely events. Ex: what would happen if the Japanese had committed their whole carrier forces to invade Port Moresby, what-if the Saratoga was repaired on time for the battle of Midway, etc. ($0.99)

Each of the extra scenarios cost $0.99:
- The End of Rabaul: A 7th scenario covering the US landing at Bougainville and airstrikes against Rabaul in November 1943
- Operation Ke: A 8th scenario covering the evacuation of Guadalcanal by Japanese troops in Jan/Feb 1943
- Operation Watchtower: A 9th scenario covering the US invasion of Guadalcanal in August 1942
- Revenge Raids: A 10th scenario covering the US carrier raids against Japanese positions in Feb/Mar 1942

I do wish there was a bundle option to buy all the IAP at once.
Yeah I'm honestly a little embarrassed over how long this took - I didn't want just anyone reviewing it and it was harder than you think to find someone who I was confident had the right interest, writing ability and access to an iPad. Although there was a stretch where I'd given up for a while, but decided to renew the search again after we featured the game in a Weekender a few months ago.

Ben's one of our writers over at wargamer.com, and was already familiar with the game, as it happens.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

jeffy777

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Great review. I too have been waiting in this one.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”