admin
Site Admin

Review: Pocket City

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 am

Aspiring urban planners, beware. Having Pocket City installed on your phone will give you a nasty case of compulsive phone-checking every ten minutes.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/pocket-city/

moggylloyd

Re: <t>Review: Pocket City</t>

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am

There's a great feeling of 'at last' with this game. Having a decent premium city builder on iOS has been so long coming, and it's great to finally have one. Maybe it'll kick EA up the backside to do a proper Sim City, but I doubt it. They're too far down the freemium hellhole now.

Is there a way to pause Pocket City at all? I haven't found one as yet and it would be nice to stop the action sometimes to take stock of things.

mintsauce

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 pm

As I mentioned elsewhere, this should definitely be an insta-purchase for fans of the genre. It's a delight to play, really polished, with some great small touches throughout.

I'm interested though, did you have any concerns with performance, longevity and reliability?

My iPhone 6 struggles somewhat when there is a lot of activity on screen, even with the FPS limit and detail turned down to medium.

Did you find the expert level much of a challenge? All it seemed to me was that the population built more slowly, rather than the challenges or variables being any more difficult. I was still able to pretty easily build up a bank balance in the millions at much the same rate as the 'easy' level.

Finally, did you have any crashing/reliability issues? Both of my first two cities, each with manual and auto saves, disappeared without warning. Several hours of zoning and nurturing down the drain... I'm slightly nervous to start over until I've seen a few more updates :(

Brittany Vincent

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi all! Glad you enjoyed the review, as I had a lot of fun with the game! I'll answer your questions as I can here! :D

I didn't have any performance issues at all, actually! I played on iPhone X on Ultra resolution and never noticed any slowdown or problems. Originally I started out on the lowest graphical setting and worked my way up while I checked for these kinds of problems, but happy to report I didn't have any. It's possible, of course, that this is due to the fact that I'm on iPhone X, but I don't have any bugs like that to report, especially with the massive amount of buildings and people onscreen, which really impressed me.

The Expert level was challenging in that it was necessary for me to go in and micromanage the city as I mentioned in the review, so I felt there was a lot more of that required from me, and that's why I kept it from being a 5/5 review.

The only problem I actually had in terms of crashing or bugs happened just once, and it wasn't a crash. It was a light pink panel that would appear on my screen after a tornado or thunderstorm. It appeared over my map one time and wouldn't go away until I closed out of the game entirely and went back in. It didn't affect my experience or anything, just peculiar. I've played two cities simultaneously since starting the game up, and haven't ran into any problems with losing progress or crashing, so again this could be due to the phone I'm using, but nothing but stability over here!

Also, no, I haven't found a way to pause the game, but it seems to me that suspending it and going out of the game pauses at the very least the money you make and the cool down timers for events/disasters.

acedout

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Great game but such a shame the iPad version doesn't support landscape orientation. That should be the norm for a game like this!

The splash screen does load in landscape, so I'm hoping that is a teaser for a near-future update.

acedout

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Great game but such a shame the iPad version doesn't support landscape orientation. That should be the norm for a game like this!

The splash screen does load in landscape, so I'm hoping that is a teaser for a near-future update.
I take it back. Landscape mode is actually an option in settings! Strange it doesn't auto-rotate, but that works fine for me!

Happy camper.

mintsauce

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Latest update, available today, includes:
- Fix a web worker memory leak
- Improve stability of save files
- Minor language adjustments
:D

Erroll

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:17 am

I am finding the interface tedious. Fun game but having to dig menus every time I do a build is getting very old.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”