Julian Gollop's little-known alter ego.> The author of the original game, Julian Gallop
Sorry you're not getting on with the game! It sucks when that happens, but sadly it does happen. The pitfalls of game reviews - even if every reviewer is genuinely positive about a game, there can be a significant portion of people who don't feel the same way.I feel like I'm being punked seeing these positive reviews. This game is just awful. Theoretically I should love this game -tactics and bluffing? Yes please. Don't have time so I'll just list some points.
1. Tactical battles are slow and tedious - it takes 5 turns to even get across the field to engage. I don't mind the rng in theory - I love it in XCOM, but here it just serves to slow an already crawling pace to a stand still. Watching 10 creatures take 30% chances to hit each other is painful.
2. Even the most powerful creature has only a 70% chance to hit against the weakest. 3 spawn creatures liked rats are way overpowered for their blocking abilities. Undead can only be hit with undead or a few others. I had a thirteen card hand and nothing to counter them.
3. You have almost no control over composition of army.
4. The bluffing mechanic isn't good for reasons too complex to get into here.
5. The creatures don't really have interesting powers.
6. $10 is just ridiculous.
7. I've seen tacked on strategic layers, but this is practically a post-it note.
The best thing about this game is that the zone of control is nearly unbreakable. Makes for interesting positioning problems.
Sorry these points are vague and ranty, I don't have time to review and just want people to perhaps look a bit harder before spending their money. I don't think this game would get these reviews if it weren't that the creator of the admittedly brilliant XCOM designed it. Btw I didn't buy this expecting XCOM so I wasn't biased in that respect
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests