admin
Site Admin

Review: Chaos Reborn: Adventures

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 am

I am really showing my age when I say that I can fondly recall gathering around my Sinclair Spectrum with a couple of friends for a game of the original Chaos.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/ch ... dventures/

amandachen

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 am

> The author of the original game, Julian Gallop

Who?

EICJoe

Re:

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:34 am

> The author of the original game, Julian Gallop

Who?
Julian Gollop's little-known alter ego.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Congestion

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:56 am

This is a very strong GOTY contender.
One-more-turn is really everpresent.

Well done by Gollop.

Mgdpublic1

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:15 pm

I feel like I'm being punked seeing these positive reviews. This game is just awful. Theoretically I should love this game -tactics and bluffing? Yes please. Don't have time so I'll just list some points.

1. Tactical battles are slow and tedious - it takes 5 turns to even get across the field to engage. I don't mind the rng in theory - I love it in XCOM, but here it just serves to slow an already crawling pace to a stand still. Watching 10 creatures take 30% chances to hit each other is painful.

2. Even the most powerful creature has only a 70% chance to hit against the weakest. 3 spawn creatures liked rats are way overpowered for their blocking abilities. Undead can only be hit with undead or a few others. I had a thirteen card hand and nothing to counter them.

3. You have almost no control over composition of army.

4. The bluffing mechanic isn't good for reasons too complex to get into here.

5. The creatures don't really have interesting powers.

6. $10 is just ridiculous.

7. I've seen tacked on strategic layers, but this is practically a post-it note.

The best thing about this game is that the zone of control is nearly unbreakable. Makes for interesting positioning problems.

Sorry these points are vague and ranty, I don't have time to review and just want people to perhaps look a bit harder before spending their money. I don't think this game would get these reviews if it weren't that the creator of the admittedly brilliant XCOM designed it. Btw I didn't buy this expecting XCOM so I wasn't biased in that respect

baconcow

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:08 pm

X-COM: UFO Defense and X-COM: Apocalypse.

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:31 am

I feel like I'm being punked seeing these positive reviews. This game is just awful. Theoretically I should love this game -tactics and bluffing? Yes please. Don't have time so I'll just list some points.

1. Tactical battles are slow and tedious - it takes 5 turns to even get across the field to engage. I don't mind the rng in theory - I love it in XCOM, but here it just serves to slow an already crawling pace to a stand still. Watching 10 creatures take 30% chances to hit each other is painful.

2. Even the most powerful creature has only a 70% chance to hit against the weakest. 3 spawn creatures liked rats are way overpowered for their blocking abilities. Undead can only be hit with undead or a few others. I had a thirteen card hand and nothing to counter them.

3. You have almost no control over composition of army.

4. The bluffing mechanic isn't good for reasons too complex to get into here.

5. The creatures don't really have interesting powers.

6. $10 is just ridiculous.

7. I've seen tacked on strategic layers, but this is practically a post-it note.

The best thing about this game is that the zone of control is nearly unbreakable. Makes for interesting positioning problems.

Sorry these points are vague and ranty, I don't have time to review and just want people to perhaps look a bit harder before spending their money. I don't think this game would get these reviews if it weren't that the creator of the admittedly brilliant XCOM designed it. Btw I didn't buy this expecting XCOM so I wasn't biased in that respect
Sorry you're not getting on with the game! It sucks when that happens, but sadly it does happen. The pitfalls of game reviews - even if every reviewer is genuinely positive about a game, there can be a significant portion of people who don't feel the same way.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Pietroschek

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 pm

The reviewer did not program the game, and a review can be enthusiast, or opinionated, without losing legitimacy or quality.

I have a lifetime sympathy for some trolling & outraging, but I am adult enough to know exactly tends to bring more bad experiences instead of solving the problems and overcoming the frustrations...

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”