admin
Site Admin

Langrisser Mobile launches next week, but you can pre-register right now

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Old-school strategy JRPG franchise Langrisser will be making its’ mobile debut next week via Langrisser Mobile - a freemium game that hopes to capture the free-to-play turn-based strategy crowd.

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/l ... sponsored/

biffpow

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Though this is sponsored, I didn't find the article offensive (aside from comparing itself to Fire Emblem!), and I'm curious to see how intrusive the IAPs are. I lost interest with FE:H after about an hour, and I love normal FE games.

Are you planning to review this here, Joe? I won't rattle the cage (much) regarding the the sponsorship aspects vs. fair review....

EICJoe

Re:

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Though this is sponsored, I didn't find the article offensive (aside from comparing itself to Fire Emblem!), and I'm curious to see how intrusive the IAPs are. I lost interest with FE:H after about an hour, and I love normal FE games.

Are you planning to review this here, Joe? I won't rattle the cage (much) regarding the the sponsorship aspects vs. fair review....
It's an interesting question. Ignoring the fact that we've run sponsored content for a second, this isn't something we'd automatically look to review because it's F2P. You guys can make up your own minds cause it's free. My thoughts on F2P have shifted in the direction of, if it proves popular enough, we can do in-depth coverage another way, like we do from time-to-time on Fortnite. That game doesn't really need reviewing, but it's worth paying attention to.

BUT, the fact that we've been paid to cover it does change things a tad. I don't know what the power that be think of this, I'd have to ask them. We have been approached already by PR (who don't handle sponsored stuff, that's a separate agency) and so we have review code if we want it, but I'm not in any rush that's for sure.

The thing is though, I write the sponsorship stuff myself. A review would be done with one of the freelancers who may not even be fully aware of what's gone on or why with this. I would happily argue that a review from them would be considered safe, simply because all I would do is send them the code and the brief, as I always would - the matter of sponsored coverage wouldn't even enter into the discussion. The only thing I could say for sure is that it's probably for the best that I don't do thing myself (not that I would anyway).
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks for the look behind the scenes, Joe : ) Your response was just the sort of discussion I was hoping would ensue.
I think a lot of people are resistant to reviews of FTP games--not because we can play them our own selves and decide, but because FTP games are usually awful. And a review of one takes up a content slot that might otherwise be used for a game of more (imagined or real) quality. Reviews of FTP titles feel "cheap" in a way because we have an expectation that the game will be a money-grab.
But...I admit to having read such reviews, usually to learn whether or not the game is eminently playable without spending money. The long-in-the-tooth Hearthstone is FTP and can(? perhaps "could once") be played to a decent level without spending a penny. And now Fortnite, which a lot of people seem to like (not me--shooters make me ill).
It sounds like it would be easy enough to review this game here and keep it unbiased. Though if you do, you may want to put a blurb at the top of the review explaining that.
Odd question, out of curiosity: what does a review code for a FTP game provide? Like extra gold to spend in-game or something? A code seems superfluous.

Lanster27

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:58 am

A review of a F2P game is subject to change quite easily. What I mean is F2P games are so subject to future changes/updates by the dev that it can be all good right now, but they might release an update 1, 2, or 6 months down the track that introduce powercreep or gate content behind a paywall, etc. For those of us who have played F2P games, you know this is quite common and often pushes a lot of players out or just kills the community.

This is way less of an issue for premium games, as often devs will just roll out incremental updates, mostly adding new content or fixing bugs. The biggest issues with premium games is the longevity of dev support down the track.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”