admin
Site Admin

The Weekender: Outlaw Edition

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Well I don’t know about you guys but I’ve had an enjoyable week – we managed to get some key reviews online and there’s been some interesting new games to...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/b ... march-8th/

Grudunza

Re: <t>The Weekender: Outlaw Edition</t>

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Interested to see your review of Pirates Outlaws. For me, it’s easily the best Slay the Spire-ish game on iOS. I’ve tried MANY of the clones and near-clones (including the recent Card Crusade), but they’ve almost always disappointed or been too much of an exact clone to want to support. Pirates Outlaws is similar but different enough to StS to appreciate, looks and works great on my phone, and is challenging enough to keep me interested.

I like how ammo-energy isn’t a given, and becomes a resource you have to manage with cards, and how traveling itself requires action points that you need to maintain. Cards/effects are comparable to StS, but not identical, and have some original ideas. One quibble is that on the card reward screens, you aren’t able to opt to NOT take a card, which isn’t always ideal.

But the design is tight, and I like that the developers seemed to think, okay, clearly people want StS on their phones, but how can we do that in a way that feels fresh and incorporates some new angles? In that sense, they succeeded very well here.

But... and it’s a big but... the way the prestige (or whatever it’s called) system works is AWFUL. There are other characters you will want to get, and two other adventures, and there are two things you need in order to unlock them; gold and prestige. You could grind for them... for an insanely long time. Or, okay, you can pay for gold. Sure, I dig the game, so I’ll support you with a few bucks to get some gold and unlock the other stuff. But wait... gold isn’t enough. There are still prestige points needed to unlock everything. And you can’t pay for prestige. The first unlock is at 500 prestige. I’ve played this game a ton the past few days and haven’t even reached that much yet, and I even bought the thing that gives you 2x prestige. So once I hit 500 and spend that on a new character or adventure, I’ll be back at 0 prestige and need to start all over to get something else?? Oy. I like this game a lot, but not that much. I’m already starting to become weary of playing it, and what would probably solve or help that is to be able to play with other characters and adventures. But instead of letting me just buy it all straight up, it’s making me nickel and dime for stuff, and making the path for getting new content extremely tedious.

So big boo on that. I’m about to say screw it, delete the game, and wait patiently for StS to arrive on Switch.
Last edited by Grudunza on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grudunza

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Sorry, the term is “repute,” not prestige.

Grudunza

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Wait, hold the phone. Apparently, you don’t actually *spend* repute; you just need to have earned that much in order to unlock certain things. Alright, I’m much more okay with that. This is why a game needs to be played through more thoroughly before reviewing. My bad. But, my original concern still seemed valid until that point (you had to spend the gold for things, so it seemed likely that you had to also spend the repute), and nearly turned me off from continuing the game. So maybe they should make that clearer.

skoptic

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Pirates looked interesting - IAP for in game currency - hard pass.

Ferret96

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:54 am

Happy Monday everyone!

I'm playing Pirates, and it's a good game. About the same difficulty as Slay the Spire and the ammo mechanic is wonderful. A note about the IAPs:

1) The currency purchasable by cash is GOLD. The currency used in game is SILVER.
2) Each time you finish a round you gain REPUTE. Repute is not a spendable resource, think of it like an achievement score.
3) When you reach enough repute you enable to ability to unlock characters, maps, and upgrades using gold.
4) You can earn gold through regular gameplay, I've gotten to the end of section II and gotten around 80ish gold. By the time you have enough repute to unlock the next item you'll have some gold saved up
5) You use gold to purchase new 2 different maps (different enemy's and cards), unlock characters, to unlock cards quicker, or to gain permanent boosts to some stats. You also unlock cards by collecting a certain amount of experience points after each run.
6) Silver is the in-game currency gained and used only within a run for the same things as you would expect (upgrading, removing, buying cards for the run, etc). The IAPs do not let you buy silver.

Since they let you earn the currency you can buy, I don't think it's PTW. However, I will say that the true cost of the game is not $.99, but $3.98. For the base $.99 you collect gold very slowly, I bought a permanent Gold & Repute doubler for $2.99 and find that it is sufficient enough for me to gain gold and repute at a reasonable rate to unlock stuff and have it not feel grindy, obviously YMMV.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”