admin
Site Admin

Review: Pirates Outlaws

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm

It’s hard to openly encourage people to take an idea and re-purpose it. There's a dangerous grey area where developers don’t do quite enough reinterpretation.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/pirates-outlaws/

Avaniar

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Wow, I was just baffled by the comparison of an ios (ipad/iphone) game to a pc-steam game. Really?
I feel it is unfair to compare two games from two different platforms.
I haven't played slay the spire, so i will not comment on the comparisons, but why not say it is a mix of "meteorfall", "darkest dungeon", and a few others, but poorly executed in the IAP department? Just a thought...

biffpow

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Great review--The comparison to Slay the Spire is totally on-point. It's the same core concept of play, with a different theme and weaker mechanics. It also feels increasingly geared towards making IAP necessary to "enjoy" the game, though I'm not sure how much enjoyment it would even add, honestly.

Having a game where you draw a hand of cards and then must discard them all whether you played them or not, only to draw an entirely new hand, is essentially rolling dice. This isn't to say a great game couldn't be built around that idea (see Dominion), but in this context, it's sacrificing strategy for what I can only imagine is ease of coding or forcing IAP.

raindog308

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Wow, I was just baffled by the comparison of an ios (ipad/iphone) game to a pc-steam game. Really? I feel it is unfair to compare two games from two different platforms.
I think the author was just drawing a logical comparison since the game (apparently, taking the author at his word) was derived or at least inspired from a PC game. In this case, mobile is not handicapped technologically. Mobile devs COULD have perfectly replicated a PC game and improved it, but instead went down a heavy IAP route and the end product is not as satisfying.

Kevnard

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Update: Okay, I spoke too soon about it being as good as Slay The Spire. I finally used all the heroes and I'm feeling like the balance gets screwy with all but two of them. Yes, it's cool to play this kind of game on an iPad, but ultimately it just makes me appreciate how well Slay The Spire nailed this genre.

I've played a lot of Slay The Spire, and I also caved and bought the IAP for Pirates Outlaws. Both are very similar, but sneaky IAP situation aside, I'd probably give the nod to Pirates Outlaws. I like the graphics better and playing on my iPad just feels better. That said, I initially left a scathing review of the game because of the IAP system which basically equates to: if you want to unlock the full game without tediously grinding for what I assume would be about 100 hours, it's gonna cost you roughly $20. That said, I think that's probably what I paid for Slay The Spire, and honestly, I found Pirates Outlaws more addictive (once I caved and paid the IAP.) Still, man was I ANGRY after I discovered that the IAP is structured in a way that paying anything less than $20 doesn't really fix the tedious grinding issue. So, yeah, I actually think this game IS worth $20, since when it opens up, I have to admit, begrudgingly, it's amazing.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”