admin
Site Admin

The Weekender: I'm Sorry, HOW Much? Edition

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:52 pm

I’m not going to lie, it’s been a bit of a slow week from where I'm sitting.

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/b ... 22nd-2019/

G Mahler

Re: <t>The Weekender: I'm Sorry, HOW Much? Edition</t>

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:11 pm

I do not know if the Gathering Storm disclaimer is specific to my IPad or to all, but I will not be able to use the large or huge maps in the game. Since I only have the standard map option available in the base game, I guess that is consistent

Hustlertwo

Re: <t>The Weekender: I'm Sorry, HOW Much? Edition</t>

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Oh look, Civ 6 finally reached the price the base version should have been on the iPad from the very beginning. Just in time for an outlanish ask for IAP.
Please check out my new interactive fiction story, The Parenting Simulator, available on iOS, Google Play, and Amazon!

https://www.choiceofgames.com/user-cont ... sercontrib

biffpow

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:14 pm

I also have an older ipad, so Civ6 has a more limited appeal for me as well. I mean, for $5, it's still worth it, no question, but there are limitations.

Joe, why are you addicted to HS Battlegrounds?? I have tried it a few times now, and I seriously just don't get the appeal. Am I missing something? Is there more strategy (and much less luck) involved than I perceive? It just feels hollow to me.

As for the Apple Arcade articles, I like the roulette format, but I also do not have Arcade, so it's an outside looking in thing for me. The few friends I know who did get it have all reported kind of the same thing to me: it was exciting to suddenly have a whole bunch of new games available to them, but that feeling was soon replaced by a sense of "too much". By that they mean, "too much to search through to find something I might like", "too much unevenness in the games," and "too much trying games and not enough playing games."

I also get this sense that because of the format of the service and the quantity of games, the games feel psychologically disposable--like the games on Arcade are magazines and the games you buy normally are books. One you toss in the recycling after you've flipped through it, the other you keep on your shelf after you've read it. Imagine suddenly getting 100 magazines you've never heard of in the mail one day. And then other new ones trickle in each week. No one has time to sort through all of that, much less read it all.

For what it's worth, I think for a service like Arcade to be successful, it needs fewer games and games that are more structured to employ "seasons" or "passes", where new areas are opened up or new missions added each month, so there's incentive to stick with a game (and the subscription).

EICJoe

Re:

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 am

Joe, why are you addicted to HS Battlegrounds?? I have tried it a few times now, and I seriously just don't get the appeal. Am I missing something? Is there more strategy (and much less luck) involved than I perceive? It just feels hollow to me.
I'm honestly not sure - I think I enjoy it more than the traditional Auto Chess games because I also love card games, so it combines the best bits of two worlds for me. The only reason it's also making me hate myself is as I've talked about else-where - I don't like how stat buffing is integral to the meta. In traditional auto-chess games you only need to worry about what pieces a player has bought and try and plan accordingly. In this you've got to worry about the cards a player has bought AND the unpredictable nature of stat-buffing starts.

I love the card combos, but everything is a little less predictable which makes games incredibly uneven/stressful.
As for the Apple Arcade articles, I like the roulette format, but I also do not have Arcade, so it's an outside looking in thing for me. The few friends I know who did get it have all reported kind of the same thing to me: it was exciting to suddenly have a whole bunch of new games available to them, but that feeling was soon replaced by a sense of "too much". By that they mean, "too much to search through to find something I might like", "too much unevenness in the games," and "too much trying games and not enough playing games."

I also get this sense that because of the format of the service and the quantity of games, the games feel psychologically disposable--like the games on Arcade are magazines and the games you buy normally are books. One you toss in the recycling after you've flipped through it, the other you keep on your shelf after you've read it. Imagine suddenly getting 100 magazines you've never heard of in the mail one day. And then other new ones trickle in each week. No one has time to sort through all of that, much less read it all.

For what it's worth, I think for a service like Arcade to be successful, it needs fewer games and games that are more structured to employ "seasons" or "passes", where new areas are opened up or new missions added each month, so there's incentive to stick with a game (and the subscription).
FWIW I agree with you. I think there's something to be said for this new era of 'live service' games in the sense that given the right platform, there are great opportunities to turn games into TV Shows or at least experiences with multi-stage journeys.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”