admin
Site Admin

DOTA Underlords has gone from 200K to 18K Peak Players in six months

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:09 pm

It seems y’all have stopped playing DOTA Underlords. A reddit thread on r/Games has pointed out the Steam Charts listing for Valve’s own Auto Chess take, which shows the game...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/d ... r-numbers/

Eruion

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Well, all I know is that I keep playing tft, it's much more fun for me than underlords and it's enough for me to get invested in one of these.

MetaKirby

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:13 am

I found TFT to be the more interesting of the two. Plus the characters seemed more appealing. I don't play DOTA, but Underlords seemed to be just trash mobs.

Eruion

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:26 am

Trying to make it quicker in the standard format was a huge mistake in my opinion.

Removing the creep battles is kinda ok, but only kind of. The first 3 used to give a chance to build your team without losing hp. In TFT it even gave a chance to make a hero quite powerful with items. Without it, you lose hp right at the begining without having much influence on the game, so essentially it's completely random. The later creep battles were something you had to be prepared for, now that's another layer gone.

Maximizing gold to 30 is a very-very bad decision IMHO. To get to 50 you had to be patient, you had to take chances and when luck wasn't on your side, you had to sit there and endure to give yourself a chance lategame. To get to 30 you only need to wait a few turns, it feels pretty weightless and quick. This also contributes to the randomness of the game as that was a differentiator, how much someone was willing to sacrifice for interest. That is also pretty much gone now, not completely, but weakened substantially. That is a key factor in dealing with luck in these games.

So, IMHO in a game that has randomness as a key concept, but gives players options to deal with luck, removing those options is a very bad idea. Now it's much closer to being completely luck based than the competition, and though as I said I prefer TFT (especially since itemization and the carioussel are added ways of dealing with luck in that game, so it has more than the original autochess), underlords was my go to mobile autochess (until TFT releases on mobile anyway), but now I don't feel like playing it at all.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”