admin
Site Admin

This just in, Kickstarters are hard. Both Wartile and Posthuman: Sanctuary shutter

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:32 pm

In early March we found a couple of interesting looking titles, fresh on Kickstarter, that were coming to both PC and mobile.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/this- ... s-shutter/

biffpow

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:03 pm

I back KS board games, but never video games. I'm not sure I could explain why, but I just recoil against the idea of backing a KS video game.

That said, I also don't really understand the logic behind shutting down a KS before it reaches its natural end-date. Many, many KS projects reach their funding goals in the last 24 hours, even when they seemed out of reach just days before. And even if they are certain they will fall short, letting a project run its full funding period on KS has no down-side, right? At the very least, it gives them a better idea of the interest level.

MetaKirby

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 pm

I back a pretty good mix of content. I like backing video games because you often get a chance to test early and provide feedback. You rarely get a chance to do that with a board game before it's released, and I'm personally not the type that's interested in print-and-play betas.

Posthuman wasn't even close to making their KS goal. They only had 40% of their target reached with a week to go, and almost no progress over the last couple weeks. While it is possible they could get a last minute influx and barely squeak over the goal, I think they took it as a sign that they needed to regroup a bit and rethink their approach. If they hit the goal with minimal funding then they'd be committed to (attempt) delivering on their original schedule. Canceling gives them more time to re-work areas that they got feedback on and hopefully release a more polished product for the next time.

OBollocks

Re: Fund me. Fund me right to my goal.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:05 pm

Posthuman's mixed reception as a board game has not helped. They're trying to do something very interesting, but they should have known beforehand that you cannot experiment and count on being commercially successful.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Alex Connolly

Re: This just in, Kickstarters are hard. Both Wartile and Posthuman: Sanctuary shutter

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:50 pm

I asked the Wartile devs what they're planning to do, either in seeking a publisher or considering something like Steam Early Access, and their response was simply to analyze the KS failure and go from there.

It's a great concept and plays wonderfully, but I think it needed more under the hood than simply being a very effin' pretty tactics game. Cards were a good start, but it needed a lot more on the field side. Automated assignments -- guarding, following etc. -- and more grit like stances etc.

Hope it returns.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”