admin
Site Admin

Review: INKS.

Thu May 12, 2016 7:39 pm

When I come home on leave from the trenches, all shell-shocked and dazed, or upon returning from a particularly gruelling dungeon crawl, my back aching from all the loot and...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-inks/

Mirefox

Re: Review: INKS.

Wed May 18, 2016 8:42 pm

Does anyone who has played this have any opinion on how it might be for a 3-year-old? I generally don't like giving my son video games, but he sees daddy playing pinball quite a bit and it seems like this might be a non-frustrating hand-eye coordination activity? Or maybe I'm crazy.

tgl

Wed May 25, 2016 5:42 am

Does anyone who has played this have any opinion on how it might be for a 3-year-old? I generally don't like giving my son video games, but he sees daddy playing pinball quite a bit and it seems like this might be a non-frustrating hand-eye coordination activity? Or maybe I'm crazy.
OK, I'll bite. Bear in mind this is based on about 10 minutes playing time. My qualifications for speaking to your question are that I'm an old guy who didn't have the coordination to play pinball well when I was young, never mind now; but I always liked the game anyway.

In INKS, you tap on the flipper images to flip them, and it's not terribly hard to time your taps well enough to get the ball to go more-or-less where you want. I think this part of the game would be entirely within the reach of a 3-year-old, and he'd have a blast with that. Also, the tables are really simple (at least in the first few that I've played so far), which is a whole different vibe from the other iOS pinball games that I've seen previously. That would be good for a beginner player as well.

I think the details of the game that Martijn talked about in his review, like trying to clear a table on the first ball, might be beyond the ken of a 3-year-old but also not something that would hinder his enjoyment at his own level.

The problem is all the stuff around the core flip-the-ball game experience. As one example, the ball comes out of a central hole to start a turn (unlike the traditional slingshot-up-the-side-of-the-table bit). That's fine, but I keep wanting to tap the hole to start the turn. Nope. You have to tap one of the score numbers at the bottom left or right of the screen, depending on whether you want the ball to pop out towards the left or right. It took me awhile to figure that out. Also, once you've completed a given table, the central hole eats the ball, and then you have very limited options to what to do next --- basically, you have to tap on the left arrow button to go back to the menu-of-tables screen, and then tap on the next table you want to play. I didn't find that either intuitive or convenient.

Maybe these things would roll off the back of a 3-year-old, or maybe he'd shortly be throwing the tablet against the nearest wall in frustration. I can't say. I think it's worth trying, but hover around to see how he gets on ...

Mirefox

Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 pm

He's very proficient with my technology, to the point where it is slightly scary :shock:

That said, like I mentioned, I have a bunch of educational apps for him but try to steer away from video games. I think this particular app, though, can be viewed as less a video game and more a fun way to paint a bit with some hand-eye coordination involved. I don't care (and he won't either) if he can hit a target number of attempts; just giving him the basic idea of pinball without the frustrations he would find in other games might be interesting.

I'll come back and post if I do give it a try, but I'm taking him camping this coming weekend, so don't hold your breath waiting for impressions; it will likely be a while.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”