OBollocks

Twilight Struggle

Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:47 pm

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/des ... he-planet/ - Its design and the results of play, still relevant and possibly more so with the digital version coming.
“People have understandably said, ‘Isn’t it somebody else’s turn?’ At this point, it wouldn’t break my heart if another game were to eclipse it,” he said. “It’s just a matter of when and how.”
https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernote ... anda-gupta - Interview with Ananda Gupta, designer.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

OBollocks

Re: Twilight Struggle

Sun May 22, 2016 10:22 pm

riotgirl

Tue May 24, 2016 7:50 pm

@OBollocks Do you have the Steam version? Twilight Struggle - physical and digital - is on my 'Want' list, alongside 'War of the Ring'. In both cases [physical] I would struggle to play face-to-face because it took me a year to play Battlelore 2.0 with my friend and the f**ker is but a 20 minute bus ride away from me!

If you have the Steam version, that would push me to buy the digital version to set-up an async game.

OBollocks

Tue May 24, 2016 11:10 pm

I do indeed, delighted to give you a game any time.

Have you seen the deluxe edition of War of the Ring that is approaching? Silly money, mind you: http://ks.aresgames.eu/product/war-of-t ... y-release/

riotgirl

Sat May 28, 2016 11:09 pm

@OBollocks Finally purchased the digital version and played until the end of the tutorial [Turn 1]. I thought I would enjoy the experience, but I didn't expect the game to live up to expectations or Playdek to pull-off such an excellent adaption of the board-game. Would be even better if available via iOS.

From reading the rules and from playing the tutorial, I now have complete certainty that my next physical purchase will be Twilight Struggle. My girlfriend won't play - no interest in the Cold War and too much heavy text involved (she's Chinese) - however, my friend would play and so would my mother's boyfriend.

My first CDG [card-driven game] I've played, or more accurately, am about to play.

I've set-up a standard game with randomised allocations [US / USSR].

OBollocks

Sun May 29, 2016 12:43 am

Accepted.

TS is the real thing, an absolute classic. Welcome to the Cold Warrior club.

https://twilightstrategy.com/ - Twilight Strategy, which is essential reading for any player.

riotgirl

Mon May 30, 2016 1:39 pm

We ended up playing a Live game this morning, finishing in the wee hours of. 03:30 with a narrow 2 VP win for the USSR at the end of Turn 10.

I played the glorious USSR and OBollocks played as the capitalist pigs [US]. It was a tense game throughout, with the US controlling the early game with presence in Europe and Asia. The USSR was struggling to maintain parity in Europe.

The USSR began to slowly get claw back the VPs in the Middle game by understanding how the Scoring cards worked, some encouragement from OBollcks, and managing to mitigate The Marshall Plan and NATO cards through hand management. Presence was established in the Middle East and Central America.

In the final turn [10], the US VP had been whittled down to 6, and some Middle East Influence in the last Action Round allowed the USSR control of the Middle East. The action resulted in a narrow win in the end of game points scoring.

In truth, I still am a bit clueless at how the end of game points were scored, so will need to re-read the rules. It was a very enjoyable and competitive game, filled with drama and agonising decisions on every card play.

We have a rematch in hand, although this will be played async as the early morning game has destroyed me!

riotgirl

Mon May 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Just had a brief read of the TS strategy link. I had no idea that you could lose the game via DEFCON suicide cards i.e. lowering DEFCON because you suspect / know that your opponent has DEFCON lowering cards that they are forced to play - thus lose the game.

However, still too early to read-up on strategy. Best to learn cards via play, because you gain a much deeper appreciation and insight by doing. A truly fascinating game.

OBollocks

Mon May 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Absolutely cracking game, and the riotgirl's Commie pinkos rightly prioritised board state over scoring dribs and drabs of VPs, shutting me out of the ME entirely, to win by final scoring.

riotgirl

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:33 pm

In our 2nd game which we played async, with a very very large gap inbetween plays measured in weeks - I am entirely to blame - O'Bollocks absolutely crushed me playing the Soviets. I would strongly advise newbies - like myself - to alternate between sides when playing Twilight Struggle because you will really appreciate how differently the game plays for each side during the different phases.

IMO this is the finest board-game implementation since Carcassonne. Has it really taken 7 years for another developer to actually match Coding Monkeys? What an absolutely superb implementation and fitting game for these turbulent times in the UK re: political implosions, strikes, it's like the 80s all over again - except without new age music, electronica, indie, and appalling fashion. Fortunately, without impending nuclear armageddon.

Return to “RPG, Board and Card Games”