admin
Site Admin

Review: Command & Colours: The Great War

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Mention the word ‘Borg’ and many a geek’s ears will prick up with interest. Most will be reliving the assimilation of Star Trek’s Captain Jean-Luc Picard by the cybernetic Borgs.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/re ... great-war/

DonCzirr

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:55 pm

I totally disagree with the overall impact assessment of this review. Yes ??? it has some issues, but the Devs have been quite active in addressing them. The overall presentation, atmosphere and flow of the game I find to be very appealing.

Additionally ??? it actual takes some real thought for the scenarios ??? based on the terrain, special conditions and cards available. I had some scenarios where I first got crushed but then tried again, (applying lessons learned) and achieved a rewarding victory.

I would strongly recommend this game to all gamers who remember the old days of light / fun ???pick-up??? games at wargame conventions like Origins.

I will be playing this a lot and looking forward to expansions from the board game !

DonCzirr

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Please ignore ??? spaces above - apparently dashes don't work too well here ;)

skoptic

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Good to hear you are enjoying the game, sadly with Hexwar pedigree, no significant gameplay iOS specific vids or reviews and a price tag that is higher than their other fare, this review confirms my fears!

Migasoto

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:00 am

I agree with DONCZIRR above. I think this game is better than the review suggests. I've had hours of enjoyment out of it. The levels increase in complexity to work a little like a tutorial, especially the first two. Many bugs have been fixed. War gamers will enjoy this. I for one love the dice rolls, which have been quickened in a recent update. They add to the board game feel. It's not perfect, especially the UI, but I do not regret buying it.

DonCzirr

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I???m glad for your post Migasoto, I needed a sanity check after this. =)

I just want to clarify that I am in no way a Hexwar fanboy. I have been nagging them in various venues for better follow up on the support for older games and to get better Customer Service and Public Relations in place before grinding out new games or packaging up ???gold??? versions of existing games.

With regard to Command and Colors however, I must say that I???ve been pleased with their attentiveness and apparent ongoing interest in making this a truly enjoyable product.

I sincerely hope that Pocket Tactics will come back in a few months, after this solid support and give this a second look.

It would also be great if Hexwar is able to publish the Tanks expansion for this system and further enhance and expand the experience.

This is a sorely neglected War in terms of tactical combat games, so I wish them luck in this endeavor.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”