admin
Site Admin

Simulation Game of the Year 2017: Guild of Dungeoneering: Ice Cream Headaches

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Getting a tie is always possible in a voting system, but getting a three-way split? This award should probably be prefaced by stating that the Guild of Dungeoneering expansion, Prison...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/s ... headaches/

serp

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:23 am

What device on Android runs Prison Architect? I have a number of older tablets and newer phones and none can run them (including my Pixel XL and Nexus 10) what is the deal?

moggylloyd

Re: Simulation Game of the Year 2017: Guild of Dungeoneering: Ice Cream Headaches

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 am

I'm a bit confused and am struggling to see what Guild of Dungeoneering is a simulation of. And also how an expansion can win game of the year.

EICJoe

Re: Simulation Game of the Year 2017: Guild of Dungeoneering: Ice Cream Headaches

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm a bit confused and am struggling to see what Guild of Dungeoneering is a simulation of. And also how an expansion can win game of the year.
The 'Simulation' category also has games that would probably be labelled as 'Management', simply because we never created a separate Management tag (Last year the two tags were lumped in together anyway, if you check the 2016 master page). It's not elegant, and to be honest we've probably mislabelled some things along the way (perhaps GoD isn't as much Management as it is other things), but in terms of the voting process it's a lot cleaner because as much as we sometimes get it wrong, you guys can't always agree what category a game belongs to either :)

At least this way games are only ever going to belong to one category.

As for the fact that an expansion won... as I explained, it was the only one out of the three tied winners that got 5-stars. The other two only got 4-stars. It's a tad arbitrary but it's better than me stepping in and just deciding who won, which in my mind would have been worse. It was eligible to be voted on as it was a something we reviewed that got 4 stars or more, and people voted on it. Can't really help what you guys enjoy, although I agree there's an argument to be made for it not being eligible to be voted on in the first place.

Hope that helps, thanks for continuing to read and engage with the site :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

moggylloyd

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks very much Joe. I don't have a problem at all with how you decided the winner for this category, it sounds very fair. I just don't think GoD should have been in this category in the first place or that an expansion should have been eligible to win. But anyway, it's just a small thing and I'm enjoying all the GOTY articles.

Happy new year to you and everyone at PT - I'm looking forward to more great content from one of my go-to sites.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”