admin
Site Admin

Pocket Tactics Top 5 Asynchronous Multiplayer Games

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Over the holidays, me and a far-away old friend decided to spend some time together playing videogames.

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/t ... yer-games/

Oynox

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Just yesterday I looked through my very, very, very long purchase history and found some games I downloaded long ago and forgot. Worms 3 was one of them. I was actually off put by the graphics, I really prefer Worms Armageddon. And looking at Screenshots Worms 4 looks very nice. Additionally, as far as I understand, all the Worms games are cluttered with microtransactions on mobile since some time... Team 17 apparently smelled the opportunity haha.

Another on which probably is my "hidden rediscovered gem" of 2018 (well that may be a bit early) is "Lead Wars". It is supposed to be a digital version of a classic "student's" game in which you draw some surroundings on a piece of paper, add tanks and jets and then use your pencil to "flick" the movement and shots. Honestly, I never played this physically and it sounds like a lot of effort, but the digital version is just as great:

http://www.demonstudios.com/lead-wars.html

I think I got it for free back in the day but it is a premium experience. It also features pass and play, map creation and sharing, a campaign... everything you would wish for. I highly recommend checking it out, especially on an iPad if you play locally.

Speaking of playing locally, I would absolutely love a list your PTs favorite local multiplayer games, in particular those which are suitable for pass and play WITHOUT having to hide the screen from the other players do decay what you did on your turn (like in Ticket to Ride for example). So far my favorites are OLO, Carcassonne, Lead Wars and Backgammon perhaps... but that is not very many for one game night.

/edit:

I would consider this a "PT Guide" btw.

Commander Cello

Re:

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Agreed, It was originally meant to go up as a guide. It's named as such now. :)
Speaking of playing locally, I would absolutely love a list your PTs favorite local multiplayer games, in particular those which are suitable for pass and play WITHOUT having to hide the screen from the other players do decay what you did on your turn (like in Ticket to Ride for example). So far my favorites are OLO, Carcassonne, Lead Wars and Backgammon perhaps... but that is not very many for one game night.
That's an interesting idea! Worms is also a good game for that, as everyone can see what the other is doing at all times with nary a loss of advantage.
Another on which probably is my "hidden rediscovered gem" of 2018 (well that may be a bit early) is "Lead Wars". It is supposed to be a digital version of a classic "student's" game in which you draw some surroundings on a piece of paper, add tanks and jets and then use your pencil to "flick" the movement and shots. Honestly, I never played this physically and it sounds like a lot of effort, but the digital version is just as great:
Awesome, thanks! We'll look into it. ;)

Neo42

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Async games on my phone, but not on your list:

board games:

Ascension *one of my all time favorites async
Agricola
LeHavre
Brass
Waterdeep *favorite goto of my friends
NS Hex
Summoner War
Caylus (think it works async)

Other:

Uniwar (turn based war game)
Super StickMan Golf 2

And probably more. I seek out these games. I expect it from most boardgame ports.

Neo42

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Also, in response to no hidden info, turn based games, I'd suggest LeHavre and Caylus ( I think).

Here are some from my iPad that work well turn based from one screen and no hidden info (not necessarily async, but definitely good for one screen pass and play):

Puerto Rico
Small World 2
Le Havre
Splendor (think this works pass and play)

MetaKirby

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Based on other comments I've seen here I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a big fan of asynchronous gameplay.

When I start winning it feels like the other player just gives up and never goes again. There also tends to be a long wait for the other player(s), and to compensate I end up running so many concurrent games that I can't keep track of them after a while.

Not sure if I'm generally unlucky with match making or if I'm just doing it wrong.

TheVimFuego

Re:

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 am

Just yesterday I looked through my very, very, very long purchase history and found some games I downloaded long ago and forgot. Worms 3 was one of them. I was actually off put by the graphics, I really prefer Worms Armageddon. And looking at Screenshots Worms 4 looks very nice. Additionally, as far as I understand, all the Worms games are cluttered with microtransactions on mobile since some time... Team 17 apparently smelled the opportunity haha.

I think I got it for free back in the day but it is a premium experience. It also features pass and play, map creation and sharing, a campaign... everything you would wish for. I highly recommend checking it out, especially on an iPad if you play locally.

/edit:

Just picked up Lead Wars on your recommendation, lots of fun and surprisingly deep tactically. I don’t know how I’ve missed it.

Oynox

Re: Re:

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am

Just picked up Lead Wars on your recommendation, lots of fun and surprisingly deep tactically. I don’t know how I’ve missed it.
Maybe because it is really old already. I think it was released in 2010, I must have gotten it for free around 2012 and since then forgot it. It received the 2.0 update with 64 bit and retina support in 2017 after it was not update for almost three years, so there was kind of a radio silence. And this update never really attracted attention of main stream media. I don't even think many outlets reviewed the game anyways.

Glad that I could share this hidden gem, I really enjoy it too, again. I really recommend checking your old purchase/download history, everyone, you might something long forgotten! :D

TheVimFuego

Re: Re:

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Maybe because it is really old already. I think it was released in 2010, I must have gotten it for free around 2012 and since then forgot it. It received the 2.0 update with 64 bit and retina support in 2017 after it was not update for almost three years, so there was kind of a radio silence. And this update never really attracted attention of main stream media. I don't even think many outlets reviewed the game anyways.

Glad that I could share this hidden gem, I really enjoy it too, again. I really recommend checking your old purchase/download history, everyone, you might something long forgotten! :D
Absolutely, so many games in there that I skipped over that have since been updated and improved. I should do this before considering the next Hot Thing.

I found Lead Wars very frustrating at first but once the control mechanic clicks it’s very satisfying to get right.

I had to turn the vocal sound effects off after a while though ... funny at first but I wish there was an option to replace with a more conventional option.

Commander Cello

Re: Pocket Tactics Top 5 Asynchronous Multiplayer Games

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:45 pm

So many good suggestions :o Where were you on Discord when I was asking people for input? :P

Would you be interested in a second/bigger update of this article with more games, or more Top 5's lists of other genres?

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”