admin
Site Admin

C&C Rivals is A Great Mobile RTS with a Monkey on its Back

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:23 am

Players first thought EA had killed the Command & Conquer franchise in 2010, when they discovered Command & Conquer 4 had made radical departures from the series’ standards and that...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/c ... -gameplay/

raindog308

Re: <t>C&C Rivals is A Great Mobile RTS with a Monkey on its Back</t>

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Great review...but I stopped reading after “freemium”.

There is no freemium game that’s worth enduring its business model.

EICJoe

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Great review...but I stopped reading after “freemium”.

There is no freemium game that’s worth enduring its business model.
It's not a review, but thanks anyway :P

Yeah I get that - we want to be fair to Rivals though and look beyond the disappointing use of an IP.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Mirefox

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I am a person who is willing to give mobile games a try; Diablo on mobile doesn't bother me simply because it is on mobile, for example. I'll let the game be judged on its own merits, and if it is a good game on a mobile platform, great! Mobile devices have some gems.

I am also a person who isn't inherently against free-to-play games. One of my all-time favorite games was League of Legends, which I hardly spent any money on but played at a fairly high level. Free-to-play is possible, especially where most of the monitization comes from cosmetic items.

All that said, this C&C games sounds like a steaming pile of garbage. I honestly tried to read that article and my brain simply started to melt at the mention of crates and cards and money and diamonds and whatever other crap the game tries to make me buy. On top of that, the game is inherently imbalanced to require money to be spent to play at the same level as others who are spending the money.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I was interested in the game when it was announced as it sounds like some of the core strategic gameplay could be neat. But I won't touch this drek with a 10-foot pole based on what I've read here.

EICJoe

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 pm

I am a person who is willing to give mobile games a try; Diablo on mobile doesn't bother me simply because it is on mobile, for example. I'll let the game be judged on its own merits, and if it is a good game on a mobile platform, great! Mobile devices have some gems.

I am also a person who isn't inherently against free-to-play games. One of my all-time favorite games was League of Legends, which I hardly spent any money on but played at a fairly high level. Free-to-play is possible, especially where most of the monitization comes from cosmetic items.

All that said, this C&C games sounds like a steaming pile of garbage. I honestly tried to read that article and my brain simply started to melt at the mention of crates and cards and money and diamonds and whatever other crap the game tries to make me buy. On top of that, the game is inherently imbalanced to require money to be spent to play at the same level as others who are spending the money.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I was interested in the game when it was announced as it sounds like some of the core strategic gameplay could be neat. But I won't touch this drek with a 10-foot pole based on what I've read here.
Well are are going to do a proper review on release day, so at least put the pole down until then :P
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Mirefox

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 pm

I'll give your review a look but I'm not optimistic at this point.

biffpow

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:53 pm

What @Mirefox said.

That's pretty much what I do online now, is just follow Mirefox around and upvote and agree : )

Seriously, though--I was also interested in this game, and now I know to completely avoid it. So I appreciate the article, Joe. Maybe by the time the game launches on the 4th, they will have done away with the daily diamond crates and super double-gold coins or whatever and just offer the thing as a premium title.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”