admin
Site Admin

The Best Sports Management Games on iOS and Android

Wed May 30, 2018 3:27 pm

With an exciting summer of sport just around the corner, there seems to be no better time to check out the best sports manager games that mobile gaming has to offer.

http://www.pockettactics.com/guides/bes ... ames-apps/

Wasp

Wed May 30, 2018 5:46 pm

Not being sporty, but interested in management sims, my list is short.

First place: The Cricket Captain series - latest version CC 2017. Very comprehensive featuring a variety of competition types with a good selection of teams. I think it well captures the atmosphere of the real game.

Second: Women’s Soccer Manager. I know nothing about soccer; even less about women’s soccer, so I had to try this when it was released a few month’s ago and have been playing it daily since then. Extremely basic, almost arcade like, so works for me. Concentrates on player training and transfers and not much else. Tactics can be changed and boost cards played during the text based on-line matches.

Third: Footbal Chairman (Pro). One up from management games as we can hire and fire managers. Even more basic, no graphics, but fast and fun to play for a few seasons after which it becomes repetitive. There is also a lite version.

serp

Thu May 31, 2018 9:00 am

Punch Club is a lot of fun, but the grind at the end of the game is so unbearable.

I really wish they'd do a basketball management sim. I remember there was one on the PC from the early 90s that was actually pretty good, it was a pure sim game a bit like sensible soccer but not as complex (obviously or it would have garnered much more attention). Wish they'd do another that wasn't apart of the Live/2K series!

GiHub

Re: <t>The Best Sports Management Games on iOS and Android</t>

Thu May 31, 2018 11:18 am

New Star Soccer used to be a phenomenal game but after a big "update" that turned it into a freemium title, it became a dud. It doesn't deserve to be on your list. It is completely unbalanced in all areas of play in its current state, just wanting to suck your money for "energy drinks". This switch to freemium ruined one of the best gems on iOS and still saddens me till this day. This is not the game that won that BAFTA.

serp

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Why are you recycling content?

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:41 pm

Why are you recycling content?
While I'm trying to avoid re-published stuff like this being the only thing to go live in a day, it's part of a new strategy we're testing to recycle these kinds of guides more regularly. Some genuinely needed updating, like this one, although some others (and especially in the future) won't see many changes between updates.

All I can really say is that, while regulars will have read this before, these kinds of articles are always bringing in new people, and there's always someone new turning up reading this for the first time, and that's in part due to careful and regular maintenance we're doing.

Like I said, ideally, there's genuinely new stuff - like reviews or news - going up the same day as a guide refresh, but sometimes it doesn't pan out that way. As I've always said, I'd rather something happen then nothing.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

G Mahler

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:18 am

The only one I think does not belong on the list is MLB 2018. It is an old run down app that is in desperate need of a complete facelift. The Minor League system is pared down to nothing but a placeholder for extra players and the draft system is weak with a glut of useless players. Overall the game has not changed much since its inception and it is not worth the money.

MasterDave

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:34 pm

For baseball, Bottom of the 9th is a pretty great game. It's based off a physical dice game and works the same way. (bonus that there's no IAP, and it works offline)

And if we're calling Punch Club a sports game, check out 80's Mania Wrestling if you've ever wanted to manage a wrestling organization. It's a little grindy and random with the wrestler acquisitions (I have trouble getting heel tag teams that aren't terrible) but it's pretty fun if you just want to do some fantasy booking with vaguely recognizeable 80's and 90's wrestling characters.

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:48 pm

For baseball, Bottom of the 9th is a pretty great game. It's based off a physical dice game and works the same way. (bonus that there's no IAP, and it works offline)

And if we're calling Punch Club a sports game, check out 80's Mania Wrestling if you've ever wanted to manage a wrestling organization. It's a little grindy and random with the wrestler acquisitions (I have trouble getting heel tag teams that aren't terrible) but it's pretty fun if you just want to do some fantasy booking with vaguely recognizeable 80's and 90's wrestling characters.
Well I'll admit Punch Club is a bit of a stretch but it's not the most well served genres so we've tried to be a bit creative. Thanks for the recommendations though!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

serp

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am

I was thinking if Punch Club is included, anyone wanting another boxing career sim game that is fun and has a little depth to it (and is free) is Prizefighters. I got into this when first released and although there is little replay once you have maxed out your boxer, it is a fun ride getting there. The developer is also constantly working on the game and has bought many extra modes out and even online play. A really good game to get into now if you have never played in the past. Even the new achievements/goals section has got me to play through one more time.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”