KYakerDude

iOS 10 - Game Center is removed

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:59 pm

I've not yet updated to iOS 10, but I understand that Game Center is gone. What happens to your GC friends?

Is there an alternative way to see what games your GC friends are playing and their achievements? I know you can see this information in some games, but others do not provide this.

Is there a way to see if someone has played a game recently? I'll do this to see if they are actively playing a certain game before trying to setup a multi-player game.

Any other thoughts or comments about iOS 10 without Game Center?

whovian223

Re: iOS 10 - Game Center is removed

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm wondering how games that use GC to let you invite people to play are going to be handled.

I haven't read up as much as i would like, so maybe that's been answered, but games like Lost Cities that just use your GC friends.

I would hope we're not forever cut off until the app-maker updates the game to a new MP system.

whovian223

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:27 pm

There is this link: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/06/ ... y-messages

However, I'm still a bit confused by this:
Invitations can be sent to players saved in a user's contacts, recent players who were seen online, or nearby players on a local network playing the same title. Players with legacy Game Center accounts will also receive notifications from Messages-based invites.
I'm not sure what "legacy Game Center accounts" means.

KYakerDude

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:01 pm

That is also part of my confusion. How do you see your GC friends so you can choose to invite them? They are not my friends in iMessages. I like having them separate.

I've got a lot of uncertainty about upgrading and I don't really see any benefits just yet.

KYakerDude

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Now that iOS 10 has been out for some time, how has the removal of Game Center affected things? Is it easy to setup multiplayer games? Can you view your Game Center friends. Can you see achievements? Can you see other games your friends have. How is it working?

whovian223

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:23 pm

I think it's a game by game thing, though I don't know how to get new people involved.

It's all very convoluted

JammaTal

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:01 am

imho it's more of an utter desaster.
apple has decided to cut parts of GC down, but for what?

no way to see what friends are playing.
all GC avatars are gone.
no way to add new friends.
in some games GC invites are simply not functioning.

the only games which are still in good shape are those running on own multiplayer and server systems (eg all Playdek games, Brass, TtR)

Return to “Mobile Games”