admin
Site Admin

The Strategy Gamer's Guide to... The Best 4X Games

Thu May 17, 2018 2:00 pm

We’ve taken you on quite a journey so far, haven’t we? Now that we’ve covered staples like the best turn-based and RTS strategy games, it’s time to get really niche.

http://www.strategygamer.com/articles/b ... egy-games/

kherux

Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 pm

>Last but certainly not least, if you???re looking for a hardcore 4X strategy game experience, look no further than Code Force???s Distant Worlds.

It's actually first in the list.

jeffy777

Re: <t>The Strategy Gamer's Guide to... The Best 4X Games</t>

Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 am

Added a couple to my wishlist. Much appreciated.

Halvance

Fri May 18, 2018 8:00 am

space - Distant Worlds
fantasy - Age of wonders 3, (a gem with great TB combat, music and nice touch with the storyline...)
btw. tomorrow Triumph is going to make announcement of new game
https://twitter.com/hashtag/PDXCON2018?src=hash (#excited, #beenwaitingtoologn) :)

jeffy777

Re: <t>The Strategy Gamer's Guide to... The Best 4X Games</t>

Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am

Which of these 4X games has the best AI? Been playing Endless Space 2 and love the feel of it in general, but the AI seems quite awful for the most part, which is disappointing. Gonna try Galactic Civilization 3 next. I’ve heard great things about GC2’s AI so I’m hoping the same is true for GC3?

I enjoyed Age of Wonders 3, but it felt a bit shallow in the 4X aspect outside of the combat. Granted I only played the first couple story missions so maybe it ramped up.

Coffeeboss

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 am

This list sucks. The only truly decent games on here are Distant Worlds and Endless Space 2 (dog crap compared to DW).

Civilization VI - hahahahaha, right. Series hit its height with IV and flamed out at V. VI is for casuals and the tablet crowd now.

Stelaris - Paradox made a decent effort at a ???grand strategy in space??? game, but like most of their games, they release the main game and charge people to beta test it whilst improving the game over a period spanning *years* and DLC hell. Stellaris has the recognition of still looking to be the boring ass game it is when P is finally done with it. I???ll admit it is pretty, though.

Galactic Civilization III - broken, buggy, spergier, crap(-pier) AI than II, the only improvement is the institution of hex mapping. In all seriousness, they could???ve done a 1-for-1 port of 2 with hexes and it would???ve been better

Master of Orion - GTFO here.

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:21 am

This list sucks. The only truly decent games on here are Distant Worlds and Endless Space 2 (dog crap compared to DW).

Civilization VI - hahahahaha, right. Series hit its height with IV and flamed out at V. VI is for casuals and the tablet crowd now.

Stelaris - Paradox made a decent effort at a ???grand strategy in space??? game, but like most of their games, they release the main game and charge people to beta test it whilst improving the game over a period spanning *years* and DLC hell. Stellaris has the recognition of still looking to be the boring ass game it is when P is finally done with it. I???ll admit it is pretty, though.

Galactic Civilization III - broken, buggy, spergier, crap(-pier) AI than II, the only improvement is the institution of hex mapping. In all seriousness, they could???ve done a 1-for-1 port of 2 with hexes and it would???ve been better

Do you have any suggestions for games we can add to the list or replace other games with?
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

EICJoe

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:06 pm

This list has been updated - Eador and Masters of Orion have been rotated out for recent releases Gladius & Aggressors, which score well with our team.

We've also swapped Civ 6 out for Civ V.

Chris 'o war

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Gladius and Age of wonders in space..

In all fairness i should give age of wonders an earnest try... The same goes with those guys from iceberg... the first space i liked a lot but legends and space 2? what happenend there?

Currently enjoying the first 40 hours in Polaris Sector.. a game that won me over because of its adult approach on building research and combat!

Another contender for me would be warlock master of the arcane!

Like the list you guys created... It would be a good handout to anyone starting or experienced uninformed vets alike

mvm900

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Do you have any suggestions for games we can add to the list or replace other games with?
bad opinions

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”