admin
Site Admin

The App Store is Dead, Long Live the App Store

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 am

Well, this is one way to start your day I guess. After sitting down at my desk, one of the first things I spy on the official PT twitter feed...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/a ... gram-ends/

black bellamy

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm

I never liked the affiliate functionality on review sites because it creates a perverse incentive. Here is a review of the thing and here is a link which will make us revenue if you buy it. No, of course we haven't talked up the thing so you click the link. Trust us.

I also don't trust review sites that run direct campaigns vs review-type content pages that feature that advertiser. I see a glowing review of Colonial Marines and I see Sega units on the page. Quick inspect shows non-programmatic ad service. Thanks for your honest review, I'm sure you didn't care what the advertiser who specifically bought ad units on that page thinks of your writing.

Please make sure to understand my above comments do not reflect my experience on PT nor are directed at it. This is a more general vent on the state of the review "industry" as it is.

Narkulus

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 pm

I was wondering why Appshopper had not updated their site in a couple of weeks. I guess they gave up and abandoned over this.

EICJoe

Re:

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:34 pm

I was wondering why Appshopper had not updated their site in a couple of weeks. I guess they gave up and abandoned over this.
That seems like a bit of an extreme reaction. The change isn't happening until October 1st so there's still a couple month's worth of revenue to be drawn from the program.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Hustlertwo

Re: <t>The App Store is Dead, Long Live the App Store</t>

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Between this and that kick in the balls to a lot of small studios when they banned template apps last year, Apple kinda feels like the nerdy kid who suddenly became cool and doesn't have much interest in being associated with the other nerds who supported it back in the old days. They got their boost over the wall, but have no intention of turning around and helping anyone else up with them.

Narkulus

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:40 am

Well after 5 weeks, Appshopper finally had an update, but there's little advertising on their site so I imagine this affiliate program loss is significant to them. They never link Android apps so that also makes me think they relied heavily on this.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”