The Best Upcoming iOS & Android Games 201809 Nov 2018 21
We're in the final throes of 2018, with only a month and a half (ish) left for new comes to release. Typically, the releases season ends at the end of November, but mobile gaming specifically has shown itself to be perfectly willing to launch new titles over the holiday period. You know, when everyone is totally not busy opening presents and watching war films on TV.
Looking through our list of hopefuls, there's not actually a lot left that we know is coming out this year, so for this guide's final update we're going to do something a little different. Unless otherwise stated, games in list are coming to both Android and iOS.
Command and Conquer: Rivals (RTS)
Release Date: December 4th, 2018
Fans were stunned, awed and a little concerned when Rivals showed its face as the next entry of the classic strategy series. The fan backlash was pretty significant, but as summer moved on and people started actually playing the game, it seems that if you look past the shocking use of an IP, it's not actually that bad as far as competitive mobile RTS games go. The only thing we don't know is what the monetisation system will look like. We've got someone looking into this specifically, so we'll update this when that article is ready, but for now you'll have to wait till December to see how this game holds up against expectations.
Void Tyrant (Card Game/RPG)
Do you dig Solitairica and other cool card/RPG/roguelike hybrids? If so, Void Tyrant is one worth watching out for. In Void Tyrant you pick a hero from a number of classes and head out to explore a chaotic galaxy. The graphics look good and combat has an interesting twist where either you or your opponent gets to do damage based on a Black Jack style showdown with special skills and items to monkey with the results. Unlike a lot of the games that were on this list, Void Tyrant still claims it's due out this year, so we'll share in their optimism by leaving this entry here. It'll be free-to-play by the developer cites "no annoying timers" so hopefully the monetization will be player friendly.
Bumped to 2019 (Probably)
If you remember what the list looked like before, there were a lot more entries. For various reasons, we're not confident the below games will release this year, but we'll post them here so you can see what still might arrive before December 31st. A few have been confirmed to be releasing early next year, but others haven't had any new information at all:
- Bad North (RTS)
- Exodus: Proxima Centauri (Boardgame)
- Dungeon Warfare 2 (Tower Defence)
- Epic Card Game (Card Game)
- Nowhere Prophet (Card Game/Roguelike)
- Evolution (Boardgame)
- Heaven’s Vault (Interactive Fiction)
- Lord of the Rings Living Card Game (Card Game)
- Night in the Woods (Interactive Fiction)
- Monster Slayers (Card Game)
- EVE: War of Ascension (MMO)
- Scythe: Digital Edition (Boardgame/Strategy)
- Terraforming Mars (Boardgame/Strategy)
Highlights of 2018 (so far)
Despite the above games going MIA, there's still been plenty of cracking releases across both iOS and Android - some of which may have graced this guide at one point or another, many of which didn't (we don't get a lot of notice for most games). Here's a round-up of some of our favourites:
- Civilization VI (4X/TBS) (iOS only)
- Bridge Constructor Portal (Puzzle)
- Cinco Paus (Puzzle) (iOS Only)
- AntiHero (Boardgame/TBS)
- Meteorfall: Journey (Card Game)
- Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! (Adventure)
- One Deck Dungeon (Boardgame/Card Game)
- Card Quest (Card Game)
- Istanbul (Boardgame)
- Barbearian (ARPG) (iOS only)
- Holedown (iOS only)
- Chaos Reborn: Adventures (TBS/RPG)
- Euclidean Skies (TBS/Puzzle)(iOS only)
- Indian Summer (Boardgame)
- Reigns: Game of Thrones (Card Game)
Seen anything else you're excited for on the horizon? We'll be keeping this list updated as the year progresses, so make sure you check back every couple of months!