Square Enix has announced that it is ending its support for the Nintendo Switch kart racer Chocobo GP. While the game will still be playable, no new updates are on the cards, and the in-game currency shop closes on January 6, 2023.
With support for Chocobo GP ending less than a year after its January 12, 2022 release date, some may be expecting an explanation from Square Enix, yet there is none. You can check out the full statement below, but it contains only facts about the end of its support.
Be warned: any currency you have bought will be invalid from January 6, 2023, and Square Enix will not offer refunds. So, be sure to spend any in-game currency you’ve spent real-world money on so you can buy stuff in a game which is no longer being updated!
Chocobo GP ending statement
Here is the full statement from Square Enix: “Thank you for playing “Chocobo GP”. Season 5 will be the last season where prize pass levels are used in the Chocobo GP mode. Operating policies for after Season 5 ends are detailed below.
- “Rankings will continue without the use of prize pass levels, in the same way as the current season off period.
- “There will be no further large-scale updates (e.g. new characters or new maps) to the game after the Season 5 update on Wednesday, December 21, 2022.
- “It will remain possible to play the Chocobo GP mode itself.
“Additionally, sales of Mythril on the Nintendo e-shop have been discontinued with the update released today at 15:00 (JST). Mythril that players own will still be able to be used at the in-game mythril shop during Season 5 and beyond, but the shop itself will disappear when all purchased mythril becomes invalid as of 00:00 on 01/06/2023 (JST). Accordingly, please be aware that all mythril, including any remaining non-paid-for mythril, will become invalid at this time. *As it is not possible to receive a refund for purchased Mythril, please be sure to spend before its expiration.
“Furthermore, new items will continue to be added to the mythril shop during Season 5 as before, but the same items may also be added to the ticket or gil shops at the same time and become available to obtain without spending mythril.
- “Items originally sold in the Mythril Shop during the Season 1 to Season 4 periods may also be added to the Ticket or Gil Shops.
- “Items originally sold in the Mythril Shop as exclusive to Season 1 may also be put back on sale (with some exceptions).
- “Items originally awarded as Prize Level rewards for Season 1 may also be put on sale in the Ticket or Gil Shops.
“We hope you continue to enjoy “Chocobo GP”.”
That’s all we’ve got on Chocobo GP’s ending. For more, check out our guide to the best portable gaming consoles to pick somewhere else to find a kart racer (or just play Mario Kart).