The Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom depths are a unique addition to the already massive open-world game. Link can explore the sky, the land, and a whole underworld full of nasty creatures, hidden secrets, and intriguing loot.
We’re here to help you light this place up, however, with a load of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom lightroot locations as well as some handy tips. For more, check out our Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom review, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom koroks, and Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom shrine guides to stay on top of everything.
Anyway, let’s dive deep into The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom’s depths.
What are Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom’s depths?
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom’s depths are the dark underbelly of Hyrule – and I’m not talking a crime ring here. Deep chasms have opened up to reveal a whole underworld full of strange creatures lurking in the pitch-black darkness. It’s a scary, difficult, and thrilling place to be.
How do I find Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom’s depths?
To reach the depths, you need to be brave – either dive into one of the chasms covered in red gloom or fall down a strange looking well. Robbie, Purah’s assistant, is actually investigating the depths – if you talk to him in Lookout Landing he can give you an introduction to the underworld.
Top tips for Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom’s depths
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom’s depths are tough – if you lose health, you can’t regenerate it, no matter how much you eat (unless you have a special meal!) – so we’ve got some top tips to help you through.
- Cook dishes that can restore hearts (not just replenish)
- Specific ingredients — like the sundelion flower — can combat the gloom of the depths and keep you going for longer – be sure to use them otherwise you’ll have a tough time
- Bring lots of Brightbulb seeds!
- Brightbulb seeds can be thrown or fired on an arrow – once they land they let out a load of light so you can see better
- Hunt down lightroots
- Lightroots work a bit like the towers on the surface – except they don’t just reveal the map, they actually light up the depths too
- Run away when you’ve broken too many hearts
- If your hearts are greyed out and broken, they aren’t going to recover – don’t push much further if you’re really down on health
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom depths bargainer statues
These creepy statues appear in six locations in the depths, and will offer rewards in exchange for poes – those blue tear-drop-shaped floating things you see every so often. Find out more, including specific locations, in our Tears of the Kingdom bargainer statue page!
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom lightroot locations
Here’s a handy tip to revolutionize your exploration of the depths: the lightroots are mirrors of the shrines. They’re in exactly the same locations as the shrines on the surface, and their names are backwards versions of the shrines. So, if you’ve visited a shrine on the surface, then you can find a root down below, and vice versa!
For more beyond Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom’s depths, check out our Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Zonai, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom armour, and Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom old map guides.