Apex Legends has finally arrived on Nintendo Switch to fulfil all your portable battle royale needs – and it looks like the mobile version of Respawn’s hit game isn’t far off, either. But before you drop in hot to Hydro Dam or Hammond Labs, there’s one important decision you need to make: which character to pick. Luckily for you, we’ve created this Apex Legends character list to provide you with all the information you need.
As of Season 8, Apex Legends currently offers 16 characters to choose from, and another will likely arrive with each coming season. You start the game with six unlocked – unless you picked up the Champion’s Edition, in which case you have 15 – and have to pay for the others using premium currency or tokens earned by leveling up.
If you want to see exactly how it runs, we’d recommend checking out our Apex Legends Switch review, but it has the potential to become one of the best Switch multiplayer games. If you want to check out each character’s strengths, weaknesses, and abilities then you’re in the right place.
We’ll help you choose your fighter, whether it’s holographic trickster Mirage, technological tracker Bloodhound, or high society thief Loba.
Apex Legends characters
Here’s the full rundown of Apex Legends characters, in chronological order of when they arrived.
Bloodhound is known as the technological tracker, and uses their abilities to hunt down enemies across the map. If you’re looking for a Norse-inspired reconnaissance master, then Bloodhound is the character for you.
- Tactical Ability: Eye of the Allfather – briefly reveal hidden enemies, traps, and clues throughout structures in front of you
- Passive Ability: Tracker – see tracks left behind by your foes
- Ultimate Ability: Beast of the Hunt – enhances your senses, allowing you to move faster and highlighting your prey
Gibby is a bulky boy and fulfils your classic tank role in a team. He has strong defensive abilities, and the combination of his Gun Shield and Fortified boost (which slightly decreases damage taken due to his large hitbox) makes him hard to take down.
- Tactical Ability: Dome of Protection – throw down a dome shield that blocks attacks
- Passive Ability: Gun Shield – aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire
- Ultimate Ability: Defensive Bombardment – call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position
A healer in every definition of the word, Lifeline enables your team to stay healthy and fully kitted out.
- Tactical Ability: D.O.C. Heal Drone – call your Drone of Compassion to automatically heal nearby teammates over time
- Passive Ability: Combat Medic – deploy D.O.C. to revive teammates, leaving you free to move and defend
- Ultimate Ability: Care Package – call in a drop pod full of high-quality defensive gear
Everyone’s favourite jolly robot, Pathfinder is all about positioning and repositioning. Armed with grappling hooks and zipline guns, your whole team can take the higher ground and be on the front foot in any firefight.
- Tactical Ability: Grappling Hook – grapple to get to out-of-reach places quickly
- Passive Ability: Insider Knowledge – scan a survey beacon to reveal the ring’s next location
- Ultimate Ability: Zipline Gun – Create a zipline for everyone to use
Wraith has been a fan-favourite character since Apex Legends first launched, mostly due to her teleportation abilities and tiny hitbox. Her hitbox has been enlarged since, but she teleporting across the map is still incredibly useful.
- Tactical Ability: Into the Void – reposition quickly through the safety of void space, avoiding all damage
- Passive Ability: Voices from the Void – a voice warns you when danger approaches
- Ultimate Ability: Dimensional Rift – link two locations with portals for 60 seconds, allowing your entire team to use them
An experienced IMC soldier, Bangalore’s abilities lend themselves to taking as many fights as possible – and winning them.
- Tactical Ability: Smoke Launcher – fire a high-velocity smoke canister that explodes into a smoke wall on impact
- Passive Ability: Double Time – taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster for a brief time
- Ultimate Ability: Rolling Thunder – call in an artillery strike that slowly creeps across the landscape
The first of Apex Legends’ unlockable characters, Caustic uses noxious gas to inflict passive damage on your foes. He’s a great option for bunkering down and securing a prime position.
- Tactical Ability: Nox Gas Trap – drop canisters that release deadly Nox gas when shot or triggered by enemies
- Passive Ability: Nox Vision – allows you to see enemies through your gas
- Ultimate Ability: Nox Gas Grenade – blankets a large area in Nox gas
Mirage is the joker of the pack. He loves nothing more than admiring himself and sending out holographic decoys to bamboozle enemy teams.
- Tactical Ability: Psyche Out – send out a holographic decoy to confuse the enemy
- Passive Ability: Now You See Me… – automatically cloak when using Respawn Beacons and reviving teammates
- Ultimate Ability: Life of the Party – deploy a team of Decoys to distract enemies
If you’ve got a need for speed or just want to be the first to hoover up loot, Octane could be your best choice. His mechanical legs will ensure you’re always ahead of the pack.
- Tactical Ability: Stim – move 30% faster for six seconds. Costs health to use
- Passive Ability: Swift Mend – automatically restores health over time
- Ultimate Ability: Launch Pad – deploy a jump pad that catapults teammates through the air
Another good option for securing a position, Wattson is a genius inventor who uses electricity to her advantage. The continental creator is only 22 years old, but won’t let that stop her from clutching wins in the Apex Games.
- Tactical Ability: Perimeter Security – connect nodes to create electrified fences that damage and slow enemies
- Passive Ability: Spark of Genius – Ultimate Accelerants fully charge your Ultimate Ability
- Ultimate Ability: Interception Pylon – place an electrified pylon that destroys incoming ordnance and repairs damaged shields
Crypto is a hacker who uses his trusty surveillance drone to gain intel on enemy positions and ring locations. Knowledge is power, and Crypto is knowledge.
- Tactical Ability: Surveillance Drone – deploy an aerial drone that allows you to view the surrounding area from above
- Passive Ability: Neurolink – enemies detected by the Surveillance Drone within 30 meters of your position are marked for you and your teammates to see
- Ultimate Ability: Drone EMP – your Surveillance Drone sets off an EMP blast that deals shield damage, slows enemies, and disables traps
Like Pathfinder’s evil twin, Revenant is a robot hell bent on killing and destruction. A former assassin (and former human), Revenant has been cursed with a painful, eternal life.
- Tactical Ability: Silence – throw a device that deals damage and disables enemy abilities
- Passive Ability: Stalker – you crouch-walk faster and can climb higher than other legends
- Ultimate Ability: Death Totem – drop a totem that protects those who use it from death for a set amount of time. Instead of being killed or downed, users will return to the totem
Loba is a thief with a taste for the finer things in life. In the Apex Games, that means she can grab all the best loot before anyone else and ensure your team is kitted out with quality gear before your opponents.
- Tactical Ability: Burglar’s Best Friend – teleport to hard-to-reach places or escape trouble quickly by throwing your Jump Drive bracelet
- Passive Ability: Eye for Quality – nearby epic and legendary loot can be seen through walls
- Ultimate Ability: Black Market Boutique – place a portable device that allows you to teleport nearby loot to your inventory. Each friendly or enemy legend can take up to two items
If you like your weapons bigger and better, then Rampart is the gal for you. She mods LMGs to carry more rounds and can deploy a freaking Minigun to beam unsuspecting opponents.
- Tactical Ability: Amped Cover – build a crouch-cover wall, which deploys a full-cover amped wall that blocks incoming shots and amps outgoing shots
- Passive Ability: Modded Loader – increased magazine capacity and faster reloads when using LMGs and the Minigun
- Ultimate Ability: Emplaced Minigun ‘Sheila’ – place a mounted machine gun that anyone can use. High ammo capacity, long reload time
Horizon is who we all wanted to be when we grew up, an astronaut. After getting stuck in a black hole for 87 years, however, Horizon has mastered the art of manipulating gravity – a convenient advantage in Apex Legends matches.
- Tactical Ability: Gravity Lift – reverses the flow of gravity, lifting players upwards and boosting them outwards when they exit
- Passive Ability: Spacewalk – increase air control and reduce fall impacts with Horizon’s custom spacesuit
- Ultimate Ability: Black Hole – deploy N.E.W.T. to create a micro black hole that pulls players towards it, and hits them with a graviton blast at the end
The newest addition to Apex Legends, extravagant Aussie Fuse has a pronounced proclivity for pyrotechnics. Put simply: he loves grenades and all things that go BOOM.
- Tactical Ability: Knuckle Cluster – launch a cluster bomb that continuously expels airburst explosives on impact
- Passive Ability: Grenadier – stack an extra grenade per inventory slot. Fire grenades farther, faster, and more accurately
- Ultimate Ability: The Motherlode – launch a bombardment that encircles a target area in a wall of flame
That’s every Apex Legends character (so far) – all that’s left to do is choose! We recommend trying out a few before settling on someone to main, because every character brings something unique to the fight. You can check out our Apex Legends tier list to see who’s best, but ultimately you should pick a character that you enjoy playing and can have fun with.