December 06, 2022: The latest patch notes have been added.
Fortnite patch notes provide you with an insight into what Epic Games has addressed in the latest update. The problem is, Epic stopped releasing official patch notes when the black hole sucked away the original Fortnite map, way back at the start of chapter two.
For those who are unaware, patch notes detail the latest fixes, changes, and additions for each update. At the start of a new season or chapter, these notes are full of new additions as well as some subtractions. During the season, you may find these notes focus on bug fixes and other minor improvements. If you’re looking for more Fortnite stuff, check out our list of the best Fortnite skins, or the best Fortnite creative codes.
Fortnite patch notes – V10.40.1
Battle Royale – what’s new?
Out of Time
We’re heading into overtime… before we’re out of time. Complete the objectives in the Out of Time Overtime Mission for end-of-Season rewards that include XP, cosmetics, and a commemorative Loading Screen.
Weapons and items
- Flint-Knock Pistol
- We may be almost out of time, but we’re not out just yet — Season X has been extended a week!
- Gotham City and the Batman Caped Crusader Pack will be available until the end of Season X.
Out of Time
- Season X’s Overtime Mission is coming soon! The Out of Time Mission will be available from Tuesday, October 8 at 9 AM ET until Sunday, October 13 at 2 PM ET.
- Complete Out of Time’s objectives to earn end-of-Season rewards, including XP, cosmetics, and a Loading Screen that serves as a Season X memento.
- Zones Wars Desert, Vortex, Colosseum, and Downhill River LTMs have been consolidated into two LTM playlists. Queue into either playlist to play one of the four Zone Wars maps at random.
- Zone Wars: Party
- Queue with a party larger than one into a free-for-all experience.
- Zone Wars: Solo
- Queue by yourself into a free-for-all experience.
- Resolved an issue involving some players having difficulty queuing into The Combine.
- Because this issue has been resolved, The Combine has been re-enabled on iOS and Android.
- Resolved a level streaming issue that occurred with v10.40 causing an increase in players landing in low-detail environments on Nintendo Switch.
- Please note that this fix will result in a larger download for the system.
Improved the performance of a cosmetic material to address hitches caused by the material.
Art and animation
- The map now shows the correct aerial view for Gotham City.
- Party Hub
- Improved the search bar functionality to make it easier to search for friends.
- Resolved a visual issue in which microphones would be displayed as on when players weren’t in voice chat.
Creative – what’s new?
Here is a rundown of all the updates to coming to Creative Mode:
Prefabs and galleries
- Added 1 New Prefab.
- Meteor – The Meteor Prefab consists of all the rocks and particles from the Meteor Galleries but grouped together in one giant package.
- Added 3 New Galleries.
- Meteor Prop Gallery
- Meteor Core Gallery
- Meteor Particle Gallery
Save the world – what’s new?
Beat Bot Hits the Road
- This week, help our last driver, Beat Bot, make its trek through the Strangelands en route to the Radio Station. Load up the van and gather your group because it’s time to Hit the Road!
- Lay down the sound and drop the bass with this new Hammer!
Missions and systems
- Complete the Escort Beat Bot quest to earn the Hit the Road Loading Screen for your Locker!
- We’ve discovered an issue that may have prevented the Canny Valley cinematic from playing video/audio properly.
- Here’s a link to the video for those who may have missed the cinematic due to this issue.
General CPU optimizations for Nintendo Switch. This is to improve the framerate in heavy scenes.
- Fixed a crash that would sometimes occur from checking a player’s platform. (Most common in Save the World.)
- Fixed a crash on mobile platforms that would sometimes occur from backgrounding the application and returning to the foreground.
- Resolved stability issues on PlayStation 4 and PC.
Fortnite patch notes – V10.40
Battle Royale – what’s new?
Put your skill and muscle memory to the test! In this new playlist, your goal is to reach the end as fast as possible while eliminating all targets along the way. Compete against friends or other players for the fastest time on the leaderboard. Share your best time using #FortniteCombine!
Have you ever wished upon a star for great loot? Come to this new Rift Zone to make your wishes come true — shooting stars with powerful loot are landing here!
Weapons and items
- Explosive Batarang
- Added an audio visualizer icon for proximity beeping.
- Shield Bubble
- Shield Bubbles will bounce off other players when thrown at them.
- Rare trap.
- Drops in stacks of 3.
- Found from Supply Drops, Vending Machines, Llamas, and Floor Loot.
- Can be placed on floors, walls, or ramps/stairs.
- Provides a jump boost in a direction perpendicular to its placement.
- Enabled the Batman Grapnel Gun and Explosive Batarang in Arena and Tournament playlists.
- Resolved an issue in which the Health bars of vehicles would not display.
- When a Junk Rift object hits a player wearing a Bush, it will no longer damage the player instead of the Bush.
- Using a Grapnel Gun to enter a Rift Zone will no longer prevent players from moving around while skydiving.
- Resolved an issue in which players could deploy a Glider while in prop form.
- Being in prop form no longer prevents players from being affected by the Explosive Batarang’s homing.
- Explosive Batarangs will no longer float in the air after the object they are on is destroyed.
- Resolved an issue in which the Zapper Trap would not deploy at the location of the placement preview.
- Shield Bubbles attached to a Supply Drop will no longer disappear after the Supply Drop is destroyed.
- Shield Bubbles can no longer prevent fall damage.
- Shield Bubbles can no longer become stuck in the air.
- Resolved an issue in which Shield Bubbles would not attach to a vehicle when thrown by a player riding the vehicle.
Double XP Weekend!
- Make this weekend double the fun. From Friday, September 27 at 9 AM ET to Monday, September 30 at 9 AM ET, you’ll earn double the XP for the matches you play.
- We’ve introduced improved matchmaking logic to core modes.
- Players are now more likely to match with those of similar skill.
- As players get better, so should their opponents.
- We will slowly roll this out to core modes in all regions as we test and monitor how it performs.
- Please see our blog post for more details.
- New Sensitivity and Aim Assist settings on controllers.
- For the details of these, please refer to our blog post.
- Note: When using the new Aim Assist settings, crosshairs turn red while pointed at a target that is within effective range, which is anytime before damage drop-off is applied.
- This new playlist is a great way to get familiar with the controller setting improvements mentioned above!
- Though The Combine is useful for this purpose, it can also be played using “Legacy” controls, mouse + keyboard, or touch.
- The goal in this playlist is to reach the end as fast as possible while eliminating all targets along the way.
- There are leaderboards that allow you to compete for the fastest time with friends or other players.
- Each leaderboard provides options to sort times by your preferred input device.
- A Rift Zone has brought back the ruined neighborhood near Pleasant Park. However, the Rift Zone has given it a homeowners’ association — it’s a nice place to live now!
- The neighborhood is actually so nice that shooting stars make it their destination. Crush the stars to access powerful items, including a never-before-seen weapon!
- Players can now use the crouch input to exit prop form.
- Hitmarkers no longer display on teammates.
- Removed the Reset Camera control bind.
- Fixed an issue where players could use infinite sprays while in a Rift Zone.
- The building piece choice no longer resets to the wall option when players using a controller have the Reset Building option turned off.
- Resolved an issue in which the sound of a Chest would continue after a player opened the Chest.
- The “Where is Matt” Emote music no longer restarts after every loop.
- The Controls Help option, a menu option meant only for mobile platforms, is no longer present on other platforms.
- The Building Edit option is now located in the Building section of the Input settings rather than the Misc section.
- Match stats no longer clip off-screen during a Victory Royale celebration.
- The “You are in the Storm” warning no longer displays multiple times when switching spectated players.
- The Shield Bubble’s sound effects no longer behave improperly when players scrub a replay.
- Added a 2x multiplier for the Edit/Building sensitivity settings.
- Clarified Look Acceleration Strength tool tip.
- Toggle Targeting is set to on by default.
- Fixed a crash when exiting the Battle Bus on lower-end iOS devices.
- Fixed a crash when switching to Presets with Custom Fire selected in the Fire Mode selection screen.
- The Fire Mode button in the Settings menu will reflect the currently selected Fire Mode.
- Scoped Assault Rifle crosshair now loads on first ADS.
- Players will be able to edit or destroy a floor piece when placed in a 1×1 pre-structured building.
- Players won’t be shot through player-built stairs when crouched beneath them.
- Friend Requests menu won’t display duplicate confirmations.
- Players will now be able to lock in place as a prop in Moisty Palms without HUD Layout alteration.
- Vending Machines will grant the currently displayed item using the dedicated button.
- The Edit with Touch function will now reset when pressing Reset in the settings.
- Push-to-Talk button won’t display a white square when pushed.
- Blueprint will be visible when deploying a Prefab or Gallery with the Retro filter active.
- Selecting Block and Report won’t result in a duplicate blocked user in the Blocked list.
- We’ve made graphical improvements to the following:
- Bunnymoon Outfit
- Axiom Outfit
- Neo Versa Outfit
- Infinity Outfit cape
- Outfits with Jonesy as base model
- Standard Issue Back Bling
- Full Tilt Emote
- Barrels in Dusty Depot
- Floating Island
- From server on September 19
- Improved Storm logic to better avoid Final Storm Circles occurring at the POIs specificed in the v10.31 Patch Notes.
- From hotfix on September 19
- Reduced the dance duration of Taco Time by half.
- From server on September 20
- Resolved an issue involving the “Deal combined damage with your squad or duo” Team Spirit objective not tracking progress in Team Rumble.
Creative – what’s new?
Spooky Prop Gallery and Devices
- It’s almost that time of year. The time for pumpkins, ghosts, tombstones, and haunted houses. The Spooky Prop gallery and Spooky Particle gallery delivers a wide variety of eerie building and visual content that is great for creepy games — and be sure to check the Radio and Speaker devices for a plethora of spooky sounds.
Flashlight Device & Customizable Lights
- The flashlight device illuminates the area in front of you when equipped. Customizable lights can be switched on or off based on player interaction or remote events. Perfect for setting up a haunted house environment.
- Create designer jump-scares with this device which allows you to hand-place individual creatures to really get up close and personal with your players. Surprise!
- Added additional values to the Time Limit option in the My Island Game settings menu: 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes, 120 minutes.
- Prevented the Ostrich Shotgun from dropping from the B.R.U.T.E. when destroyed.
- Players should no longer be able to spectate players that are on the hub while in a minigame.
- Fixed an issue where being eliminated with the Glider deployed would prevent the player from attacking after respawn.
- Fixed an issue where players could not join a match in progress during the round end timer.
- Fixed an issue where spectators who joined a match in progress would not enter the next game if the match was restarted.
- Fixed an issue where spectators would see a Defeat screen at the end of a round.
Weapons and items
Added the Rare variant Rocket Launcher.
Prefabs and galleries
- Added 2 New Prefabs.
- Junk Junction Warehouse
- Junk Junction Loading Dock
- Added New Galleries.
- Junk Junction Prop Gallery
- Arid Cliff Gallery
- Spooky Prop Gallery
- Lanterns, Candles & Lights
- Spiders & Webs
- Candy Buckets
- Smoke Machine
- Spooky Particle Gallery
- Blinking Eyes
- Fog Patches
- Customizable Light Gallery
- Added additional props to the Dusty Depot Visitor Warehouse.
- Added additional props to the Dusty Depot & Diner Prop Gallery.
- Corrected the spelling of the word “Instant” in the description of the Hero and Villain galleries.
- Kevin Cube healing effects will no longer remain after creators delete the Kevin Cube from the island.
- Replaced the missing corner columns on the Haunted Tomb Prefab.
- Triggers will not spawn offset from the intended location when thrown.
- The HUD Message device will now display messages consistently in LTM or Published islands.
- Fixed an issue where Vending Machines would not function if they spawned an item that was left uncollected at the end of the previous game.
- Fixed an issue with the When Item Spawned Transmit On trigger not transmitting when a Vending Machine item was spawned via another trigger.
- Fixed an issue where accessing the My Island settings would reduce the Health of a B.R.U.T.E. to 100.
- The End Game Slowdown effect will no longer affect players outside the game on the same server.
- Fixed various issues with the Capture Area device:
- Players will now be able to correctly capture items that they pick up inside the Area.
- Player Capture Item Filter should now function as intended.
- Updated the tooltip for the Consume Item on Scoring option.
- The Objective Device will display the correct health to spectators who joined a game in progress.
UI and social
- Create Island user interface style updates.
- Fixed an issue where players could interact with the My Island settings menu while in a game if they left the menu open after starting the game.
- The Hero/Villain Gallery is now visible.
- The treadmill inside the Hero Mansion prefab no longer displays an “Open” button.
Save the World – what’s new?
- Time is broken! Join Director Riggs in a race against… well not time, because we broke that…
Quinn Hits the Road for the last time!
- This week, help Quinn make her last trek through the Strangelands en route to the Radio Station. Load up the van and gather your group because it’s time to Hit the Road with a new weekly quest!
Missions and systems
- Introduced a Timeless Mini-Questline.
- Complete this mini quest line to earn Hit the Road Tickets and Gold.
- Added more Ghost Town zones to the end of Canny Valley to offer a wider mission variety to players who are trying to complete the campaign.
- Added a final quest to the end of the Stand and Fight Campaign.
- Complete this new Canny Valley quest to witness a small surprise!
- The Exploding Deathbomb Storm Modifier, Damage Pulse Mini-Boss Modifier, and Exploding Huskies in Wargames will no longer trigger propane tanks.
- Canny Valley quests can now be completed in all Twine Peak zones if they meet the quest requirements.
- Players no longer block the clay disc when standing in front of the Target Practice launcher.
- Players will no longer desync when standing on “The Big Slurp” quest’s Sensor Balloon.
- Corrected an issue that prevented some clients from being able to interact with the bomb in the Deliver the Bomb mission.
- Adjusted the pop-up messaging to clearly state when Defenders can’t be placed.
- The sort by subtype now correctly sorts weapon schematics in the Armory.
- Corrected an issue that caused the Emote Wheel icons to be too small when viewing them in-zone.
- The Use XP Boost button in the Command menu no longer generates multiple confirmation prompts for keyboard + mouse players.
- Fixed the ammo icon missing on the interaction indicator on the Defender Post trap.
- Fixed an issue with the Results screen chest and medal animations getting stuck or flattened.
- Disabled the changing privacy settings in the Social menu during matchmaking, to match the other privacy setting locations.
- The Space Technology Commander Perk now gives the proper damage increase.
- The Slow Field gadget now drops to the ground if the floor beneath is destroyed.
- Sub Wafers can no longer be obtained by destroying player built structures or by shooting metal structures.
- Main Stage Quinn will be eligible for reset due to this fix.
- B.A.S.E. will no longer appear in the quick bar if it’s restricted.
Weapons and items
- The following weapons/attacks no longer damage propane tanks:
- Ear Splitter – Sonic Pulse
- Mic Drop – Feedback Pulse
- Plasmatron 9000
- Pulsar 9000
- Fixed an overly aggressive damage falloff that caused explosion to do less damage than intended for the following weapons and their lower rarities:
- Dragon’s Claw
- Dragon’s Fury
- Dragon’s Might
- Easter Egg Launcher
- Freedom’s Herald
- The Jabberwocky
- Tiny Instrument of Death
- V6 Launcher
- Vacuum Tube Launcher
- Vindertech Disintegrator
- Zap Zapp
- Fixed an issue that was causing heavy melee attacks to do less damage than intended. Some attacks may only see a small increase, while most will see a large increase.
- Black Hole
- Cut and Thrust – Also increased attack speed by 35%
- Double Chop
- Double Thwack – Also reduced energy cost from 60 to 40
- Double Slash – Also reduced energy cost from 60 to 40
- Electric Smash
- Energy Slam
- Golf Swing
- Home Run
- Hydraulic Smash
- Leap Attack
- Overhead Smash
- Push And Swipe
- Quad Chop
- Spectral Strike
- Steampunk Smash
- Up and Over
- Whirlwind Attack
- Corrected the damage zone to be in front of the impact point instead of centered for the Heavy attack on the following weapons:
- Guardian’s Will
- Lead Sled
- Sound Wall trap now shows appropriate Power Level.
- Sound Wall trap now triggers if enemies clip through the speakers.
- Riot Shields no longer spawn before the Riot Husky has finished spawning.
- Husks no longer walk sideways after bull rushed off high elevation.
- Added support for the following devices:
- Samsung Galaxy A9
- Samsung Galaxy A70
- Samsung Galaxy A80
- Samsung Galaxy A90
- Added 60 FPS support to OnePlus 7 Pro.
- Improved audio issues with latency on first playback on mobile devices.
- Players on your Squad/Team in Battle Royale or Save the World now display a globe for their platform if they are not in your party or Friends lists.
- Added DualShock 4 support on Sony Xperia devices to show the icons for the controller.
- Optimized I/O performance on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
- This is to improve level streaming performance and load times.