If you want to collect all of the legendary Pokémon in the ninth generation of Game Freak’s monster franchise, you need to get your head around Pokémon Scarlet and Violet black stakes. With eight for each legendary, it’s up to you to hunt down these stakes in the ground across Paldea to unlock an ancient mystery.
For more tips for your trip across the mountainous region of Paldea, check out our guides for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet evolution, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet exclusives, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet recipes, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet elite four, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet gym leaders, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Eevee, and Pokémon Scarlet and Violet tera raid battles.
What are Pokémon Scarlet and Violet’s black stakes?
Dotted around the region of Paldea in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, there are 32 black stakes, with eight in the east, west, north, and south. Each collection of eight black stakes is a magical bind that keeps a legendary Pokémon subdued, but if you can get all of them from each area on the map, you can pick up all four legendaries. Each type of black stake matches up with one of the legendary ‘mons, as you can see below, or if you want to see them before you sign yourself up for the challenge, check out our Pokémon Scarlet and Violet legendaries guide.
- Black purple stakes – Wo-Chien
- Black yellow stakes – Chien-Pao
- Black green stakes – Ting-Lu
- Black blue stakes – Chi-Yu
All Pokémon Scarlet and Violet black stake locations
If you want to get this treasure hunt over and done with, we’ve got locations below for all 32 of the Pokémon Scarlet and Violet black stake locations.
To get access to Ting-Lu, you need to find all of these green stakes in the west and northwest of Paldea, predominantly around Casseroya Lake and Glaseado mountain.
1. The first stake is just north of the desert, just by the waterfall.
2. You can find the second stake just off Glaseado Mountain by a small lake.
3. The third stake is at the tip of the land leading onto Casseroya Lake.
4. At the most northwest point of Casseroya Lake, you can find the fourth stake on the middle plate of a small mountain.
5. Just behind the cliffs where you find stake number one, stake number five is available to pick up.
6. You can find the sixth stake on the small island to the south of Casseroya lake.
7. The seventh stake is on the right side of the biggest island in the lake.
8. The eighth and final stake is on the cliff face of Glaseado Mountain.
You can find all of the purple stakes in the south and southeast of Paldea. All of them are somewhere between Los Platos and Artazon. Find them all and Wo-Chien’s encounter unlocks.
1. You can find your first stake at the northernmost point of South Province (Area Three) looking over into the East Province.
2. Your second stake is in the south of South Province, just before reaching the ocean.
3. The third stake is by the bridge that connects you to the canyon area of the South Province.
4. The fourth stake is just to the south of Los Platos.
5. The fifth stake is on top of a small mountain the South Province.
6. The sixth stake is in the hills above Los Platos.
7. The seventh stake is in the midst of the South Province canyon.
8. The final stake is overlooking Artazon.
You can locate the yellow stakes in the west and south of Paldea, with the reward for finding all eight unlocking Chien-Pao from their slumber.
1. Your first stake is by the West Province river, at a point where it is at its widest.
2. This second stake is underground. You can access the cavern from the beach on the left of the map.
3. Your third stake is on top of this mound directly across from a wind farm.
4. North of Cortondo, your fourth stake is hidden in the cliff face.
5. The fifth stake is near the entrance to Alfornada cave.
6. The sixth stake is on a cliffside in West Province.
7. The seventh stake is under a tree just behind the Casscafara gym.
8. This last stake is near a watchtower in the West Province (Area One).
Sticking in the north, all of the blue stakes for unlocking Chi-Yu are all around the north and northeast, forcing you to the other side of Glaseado mountain.
1. The first stake is just off the dotted line on the far right of the world map.
2. Still in the north near the blocked-off section, the second stake is within the ruins.
3. The third stake is at the top of the Fury Falls waterfall.
4. The fourth stake is on the grass by the small beach in the northeast corner of the map.
5. The fifth stake is south of number four, to the left in the plains with the lake.
6. The sixth stake is to the top-left of Levincia on a small mountain.
7. The seventh stake is in the northern area of Tagtree Thicket.
8. The final stake is on the southmost cliff face of Glaseado Mountain.
There you have it, all you need to know about Pokémon Scarlet and Violet’s black stakes roundup. For more incredible gaming on the go, check out our picks for the best portable gaming consoles.