Link’s brand new Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom fusion is one of the most exciting additions to Hyrule, allowing our hero to create new weapons in a flash. So, we put together this Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom fuse guide to help you out as you get to grips with this new creative freedom, as well as offering some advice on what to make first.
Once you’ve got your head around Zelda: TotK fusion, get exploring with our guides to Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom koroks, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom shrines, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom armor, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom geoglyphs, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom autobuild, and Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom enemies.
Now, let’s get to the rundown on the super handy Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom fuse ability.
You pick up the fusion ability in the opening section of the game, so there’s no chance of you missing it. Right out of the gate, an evil spirit does away with all the swords and weapons across Hyrule, leaving Link no choice but to get creative and make his own. It’s the second ability Link learns after ultrahand, with your fusion weapons ideal for handing it to constructs on the sky island.
Still, if you need a refresher, we’ve written out the method for how to fuse weapons in Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom below.
- Press ‘L’ to open your ability wheel
- Select the fuse option at the bottom of the wheel
- Find something you want to fuse to your current weapon or shield
- Press ‘L’ again to open the fuse ability
- Select the item and which piece of your equipment you want to fuse it to
- Get to fighting with your new weapon!
While the method above works perfectly for fusing shields and melee weapons, fusing an arrow is a little different. To stick something to an arrowhead, check out the following steps.
- Pull out your bow and draw an arrow
- Press up on the d-pad to select an item to attach
- Fire your fusion arrow
If you’re wondering what you can fuse to arrows in TotK, the best way to find out is by trial and error. You can fuse almost anything small to an arrow, from Chuchu jelly to chicken breasts. But, if you’re going into battle, try a fire fruit or a bomb flower and watch the sparks fly.
As we mentioned earlier, the Master Sword breaks at the beginning of the game, before mysteriously disappearing at an altar on the sky island. When you eventually get it back, you can get creative with the Master Sword without having to worry about fusing something permanently.
The fixed Master Sword can’t break, it just runs out of energy instead, at which point whatever you have fused to it snaps off, giving you the chance to change up your attached item. Still, if you want to try out a TotK Master Sword fuse in TotK, you need to wait a while to get the weapon back, so make sure to get to grips with fusing normal weapons first.
The best Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom shield fuse is purely subjective, depending on what you want in a shield. But, if you need to get those creative juices flowing, we’ve got a few ideas to help you protect yourself. Check out some of our shield fuse suggestions below.
- Shield and rocket – fuse a rocket to your shield to make it that bit easier to boost up to the heavens
- Shield and barrel bomb – nothing puts an enemy off like launching into an attack only to get blown up by a barrel bomb, so stick one on your shield and light them up!
- Shield and cannon – this one just makes sense, turn your shield into a ranged weapon by adding a cannon to the front of it
- Shield and muddle bud – this mushroom might look unassuming, but stick it to the front of your shield and send out a confusing powder every time an enemy attacks, forcing them to confront their monster allies
Unfortunately, you can’t fuse items in the inventory in Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. You need to go into your inventory, select the item you want, drop it, and then follow the steps from the top of the page for fusing a weapon. You can unfuse weapons in the menu, though, if you want to try out a different approach or add a bigger rock to your rock hammer.
There you have it, our tips and tricks for the Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom fuse ability. For a solid start to your Hyrulian adventure, see our Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Lookout Landing and Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom paraglider guides. Or, for something out of space rather than in the skies, see our Honkai Star Rail tier list and Honkai Star Rail codes.