Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier is an upcoming, high-octane battle royale game, with a delightful RPG twist. Set in Midgar before the events of FFVII, fans will be glad to know that the ranks of Shinra’s elite SOLDIER unit won’t be limited to just guns – no, you’ll be arming yourselves with magic materia too.
Of course, magic isn’t new to the world of Final Fantasy, but each game sees it take on its own unique twist. In this Final Fantasy: First Soldier materia guide, we’ll tell you about all the types of materia at your disposal, from magic to summons, and what exactly they do. You’ll be limited in how many different types you can equip at a time, so you’ll need to know all about them to make sure you’re equipping the ideal kit for you.
If you’re looking to be a top SOLDIER candidate, you should check out our Final Fantasy: First Soldier release date and Final Fantasy: First Soldier class guides. We also have lists for the best mobile RPGs and the best mobile MMORPGs if you’re looking for something new to play.
Final Fantasy: First Soldier materia
Materia are handy resources in FFVII: The First Soldier, which can be found around the map and equipped by all of you budding SOLDIER candidates. You can slot up to three materia at a time, and you’ll be able to level them up as you go along. Just be wary when whipping out those materia attacks if you’re in a trio, as they can inflict friendly fire – you don’t want to burn your pals!
Final Fantasy: First Soldier magic materia
So far there are two types of materia you can gather, the most common being magic matera.
- Fire – you launch a ball of fire forward. It can be a bit tricky to aim over long distances, but deals high damage at medium ranges
- Blizzard – create a stationary ice structure that rapidly shoots ice projectiles at enemy characters within range (much like a frosty turret)
- Thunder – create a circle of storm clouds, causing lightning bolts to strike the area in an AoE attack
- Cure – cast an AoE heal that recovers HP for you and all teammates within range
- Comet – summon a huge AoE comet attack, offering great area denial
- Aero – plop a gust of wind down, allowing you to get a boost in jump height
- Raise – raise a fallen teammate within a certain range
- Protect – we’re not sure what protect does yet, but if it’s anything like previous FF games, it will likely grant some form of shield to you and your allies, either increasing defence or decreasing incoming damage
- Blind – create a cloud of opaque smoke, reducing enemy vision (like a smoke bomb)
- Gravity – we’re not sure what gravity does yet, but if it is anything like FFVII’s Demi, it will likely reduce an enemy’s current HP by a specific percentage
- Bio – place a small AoE that inflicts damage over time
Final Fantasy: First Soldier summon materia
We’re not sure how summon materia works in FFVII: The First Soldier just yet, but the names below should be familiar to fans of the previous games. Hopefully, we’ll see some epic new summons, and get some fresh details on the topic soon.
And that’s all we’ve got on FFVII The First Soldier materia so far, but we’ll be sure to update as new details come to light. If you’re looking for some more FF goodness, you should check out our FFVII Cloud, FFVII Tifa, FFVII Aerith guides.