Collecting Minecraft diamonds is one of the most important things you can do. Without gathering the precious gemstone, you will find it hard to progress beyond the mud huts and stone tools stage of the game. Diamonds are used for tools and armour, both of which are amongst the best equipment you can make. Minecraft diamonds are considered a game-changer, which may explain why they are so hard to come by on your travels.
It’s easy to find Minecraft diamonds once you know where and how to look for them, but that’s only half of the battle. A lot of people get frustrated by their lack of diamond discovery, but that only makes the payoff that much sweeter when you finally get some. That’s why we here at Pocket Tactics decided to create this guide, to help you relive the pure excitement of discovering the rare but vitally important diamond.
That’s where our guide comes in handy. It’s inevitable that you will have to look for diamonds in Minecraft, but that doesn’t mean we can’t help. Below you will find a list of techniques and details on the fastest and most reliable ways to find diamonds in Minecraft.
What are Minecraft diamonds and what can I use them for?
Although Minecraft diamonds are rare, there are many ways you can get your hands on the precious gemstones. You can attempt some of these methods as soon as you start a new world, while others require a bit of preparation.
- Mine it: this may sound like the most obvious way to find Minecraft diamonds, but it is the most reliable. Diamond ore spawns in all biomes deep underground. The ore itself can spawn in veins of up to ten blocks, if you are lucky
- Nether Fortress: once you have built an obsidian portal to the Nether, you will need to find a Nether Fortress. A Nether Fortress is a giant, dark, red-bricked structure made up of two parts. The exterior either doesn’t have a ceiling, or the ceiling is made of Netherrack. To find diamonds in this area, you will need to find a single block of lava that marks the inside of the fortress. When you enter, explore and look for chests that may contain diamonds
- Shipwrecks: you will need a little luck to find Minecraft diamonds in a shipwreck. Start by building a boat and locating the ocean. Then you will need to sail around and dive into the murky depths to find underwater chests inside of shipwrecks. It’s also possible to find shipwrecks on icebergs that can contain maps to buried treasure
- Buried treasure: it is possible to find maps in Minecraft that reveal the locations of buried treasure. You can find the buried treasure under sand, gravel, water. You can get maps from shipwrecks underwater ruins, or you can buy them from the cartographer
- Mineshafts: when spelunking, you may stumble across an abandoned mineshaft. These chests have a chance of containing diamonds
- Temples: certain randomly-generated structures can spawn with diamonds inside. The desert temple and jungle temples both have a chance of generating between one and three diamonds inside of chests. The Woodland Mansion, which is in the dark forest biome, may contain a certain room that holds a solid block of diamond. This block can either spawn in the obsidian or lava secret rooms. For more details on the mansion, visit the official wiki
- End City: if you make it to the End City, you need to slay the Ender Dragon. It is in this biome where you will find the best loot in the game. The chests in this area drop diamonds and enchanted diamond loot, like chest plates, swords, and pickaxes
- Villages: villages are an effortless way to pick up one-three diamonds without having to explore. If you locate either the weaponsmith’s chest or the toolsmith’s chest you can find some diamonds. If you aren’t sure what the relevant buildings look like, just look for the weaponsmith’s grindstone or the toolsmith’s smithing table
- Bastion Remnant: a structure added in Minecraft 1.16 that only spawns in the Nether. The treasure room inside this structure may contain diamonds, enchanted diamond items, and normal diamond items like pickaxes
Minecraft diamonds level: where do they spawn?
Minecraft diamonds can spawn between levels one and 15. However, the most densely-populated levels for Minecraft diamonds are between levels five and 12. These are from the lowest point in the bedrock upwards. To calculate the level to dig to, you will need to dig down as far as you can go, and then count 12 blocks upwards from this point. From here, you are likely to find diamonds in any direction, so go nuts!
How to make a Minecraft diamond pickaxe
Here’s how to construct a Minecraft diamond pickaxe in steps:
- Gather wood from trees by either punching it or using a tool like an axe
- Once you have at least several wood blocks, open up your inventory
- Place the Wood Blocks into the crafting area above your inventory to turn them into wood planks
- Place one wooden plank into each empty slot in the crafting area to make a crafting table
- Drag the crafting table out of the crafting area and place it into your Inventory
- Place the crafting table and click on it
- Here you will need to turn your wood planks into sticks by placing them in the crafting area
- Remove your sticks and wooden planks from the crafting area
- Place two sticks in the crafting area, one in the middle, and one directly below it
- Then place one diamond in each empty slot in the top row of the crafting area
- Remove your diamond pickaxe and go mining for ore!
How to check Minecraft diamond coordinates
You can only view your in-game coordinates if the world you created has cheats activated. Do so and, in the game settings, you can see your current coordinates. This can help ensure that you’re at the right level to mine for diamonds. You can also follow these steps to turn on coordinates while you’re inside of a world.
Minecraft diamond level chart: where is best to find diamonds in Minecraft?
Below is a graph of diamond ore density in a standard randomly-generated Minecraft world. The best levels to mine diamond are between five and twelve according to the official Minecraft wiki.
what is the most diamond ore you can find?
Diamond ore in Minecraft usually spawns anywhere between one and ten individual ores per chunk. However big the vein of diamond ore you find in Minecraft, just make sure there is no lava underneath.
Minecraft diamond mining tips and tricks
If you want to know the most efficient mining techniques to find Minecraft diamonds, then you’ve come to the right place:
- Strip mining: to strip mine, you will want to dig down to around the twelfth level from the bottom, and then dig in a straight line. Then, count two blocks and dig sideways in both the right and left direction from your middle channel. The reason for counting two blocks for each tunnel is that each strip will reveal the blocks on the right and left side of the tunnel. Only leaving a one-block gap is far less efficient
- Tunnels: once you have dug down to the desired level of choice, the quickest way to make up ground is to dig a two-block high tunnel for your character to walk down. You can keep doing this until you find diamonds. You can dig straight, left, or right. Just don’t move off the desired level (3/10)
- Clearing: when you are at your desired height, it is tempting to just start smashing every single stone around you. While this method is expensive in terms of pickaxe usage, it can lead to surprising results (5/10)
- Cave exploring: if you want to find diamonds in a cave, it needs to be the right cave. This means that the cave needs to go on for miles and drop to near bedrock. If you find a giant underground chasm, this is also a great place to explore. You will need to bring supplies like food and blocks to escape, and it’s best to mark your way out with torches. This method is time-consuming but is the most fun(7/10)
- Fortune 3: if you are mining for diamonds, you want to enchant your pickaxe to fortune three. This is because a pickaxe with fortune three gives you a chance to mine four diamonds from one diamond ore
If you also want some advice on crafting your dream Minecraft home, we have a great ‘lil Minecraft houses guide just for you!