While off on your witching adventures, The Witcher 3 characters have a massive impact on your journey, with each of them having their own important part to play. From the grizzled Geralt, to the tender Triss, and the dafty that is Dandelion, this motley crew truly make it a journey to remember. So let’s take a look at all of these important interlopers, significant sorceresses, and charismatic characters, along with their role in the overarching narrative.
For more assistance on your wild hunt, check out our guides to the best Witcher 3 maps, all of The Witcher 3 endings, and The Witcher 3’s best armor. We’ve also got a list of dazzling Witcher 3 wallpapers, and a list of the best Switch RPGs so you can continue your adventure beyond the game.
So, without further ado, here are all the Witcher 3 characters.
Come on, we all know who Geralt is by now – the tall, broody, white-haired hunk who happens to be the titular Witcher this series is about. Though he was stripped of his emotional thinking by the rite that transformed him into a Witcher, he still reveals a sense of feeling, especially in the tight bonds he forms with those around him. However, above all a Witcher’s job is to slay monsters – and Geralt certainly excels at that.
Off on yet another treacherous adventure, The Witcher 3 sees Geralt set out in search of his adopted daughter Ciri as she’s pursued by the Wild Hunt. Find out more about the silver-haired wolf in our The Witcher 3 Geralt guide.
Entangled with Geralt through the Law of Surprise, Ciri is Geralt’s adopted daughter who trained with him in the witcher keep of Kaer Morhen when she was young. She was later taken in by the Bloody Baron, but was forced to flee after using her powers and alerting the Wild Hunt to her elder blood.
The Witcher 3 predominantly revolves around Geralt searching for Ciri as she flees the Wild Hunt, and their eventual reunion in the face of mortal danger. Check out our The Witcher 3 Ciri guide to find out more.
A talented sorceress who has a long and complex past with Geralt, Yennefer of Vengerberg is a mainstay in the Witcher series. Known throughout the land for her incredible skills and a firm grasp on her own destiny, Yen is a very strong-willed woman with a talent for convincing people to help her reach her goals.
In The Witcher 3, Yennefer aids Geralt once again in his search for Ciri, and, upon recovering most of her memory, agrees to serve the Emperor’s interests in the hunt for Ciri. Find out more about this sassy sorceress in our The Witcher 3 Yennefer guide.
The Witcher 3 Triss
Triss Merigold of Maribor is a skilled sorceress, and another mainstay in the Witcher world. She has a proficiency for healing magic and often carries many magical potions, but can never use them herself as she’s allergic to magic. She has close ties with both Yennefer and Geralt, having had romantic ties with the latter in the past.
The Witcher 3 sees her holed up in Novigrad, helping other mages who are suffering persecution from the witch hunters and Radvoid’s forces. She enters an arrangement with the King of Beggars, paying for his protection by providing magic services to his organisation. She promises to do everything within her power to help Geralt in his search for Ciri.
Find out more about the red-haired witch in our The Witcher 3 Triss guide.
Dandelion, also known in the original Polish translation and the Netflix series as Jaskier, is a poet, bard, minstrel, and downright great character. He also happens to be Geralt’s closest friend, though Geralt doesn’t always seem too happy about that fact. Known to be quite the womaniser, Dandelion is always off trying to woo the ladies, and often gets himself in some tricky situations as a result.
Having travelled far and wide in the previous games, The Witcher 3 sees Dandelion settling down in a way. He now co-owns a tavern in Novigard called Rosemary and Thyme alongside his and Geralt’s old pal, Zoltan.
Some say a dog is man’s best friend – well a horse is certainly a Witcher’s. Geralt gives the name ‘Roach’ to all of his horses, though he has a preference for mares. In The Witcher 3, Roach is a chestnut mare that accompanies him on all of his travels, and makes traversing the map much easier.
Saddles and blingers help her move swiftly and fearlessly through the war-torn world, but, when scared, she’s known to rear up and toss Geralt to the ground – and occasionally climb the nearest roof. Luckily, with a quick Axii or some space between her and the beastie that freaked her out, she gets back to trotting happily along in no time.
Vesemir is the oldest and most experienced witcher at Kaer Morhen, and acts as a father figure to Geralt and the other witchers. He was one of the few witchers that managed to survive the assault on Kaer Morhen, but was only a fencing instructor at the time, and therefore did not possess the necessary knowledge required to create new mutagens in order to turn more boys into witchers.
He plays a key role in The Witcher 3, and begins the story by joining Geralt on his search for Yennefer across the war-ravaged land of Temeria.
The Witcher 3 is more than its core crew, of course – its world is made up of many intriguing individuals. So let’s take a brief dive through all of the names you’ll likely come across in your travels, along with a brief overview of their role.
- Anabelle – daughter of Vserad, the lord of Velan
- Anna Henrietta – beloved former duchess of Toussaint
- Anna Strenger – wife of Phillip ‘the Bloody Baron’ Strenger and mother to Tamara
- Arnvald – former cupbearerer to the Jarl of Kaer Trolde Keep
- Auberon Muircetach – king of the Aen Elle elves and ruler of Tir ná Lia
- Avallac’h – full name Crevan Espane aep Caomhan Macha. An elven Aen Saevherne who travelled between the worlds of the Aen Elle and Aen Seidhe
- Barnabas-Basil Foulty – the majordomo who takes care of the Corvo Bianco vineyard
- Bart – a friendly rock troll that works for Dijkstra in Novigrad
- Birna Bran – widow of King Bran
- Blueboy Lugos – son of Madman Lugos, and heir to the title of leader of Clan Drummond
- Bootblack – an orphan from the poorer district of Beauclair who makes a living through savvy enterprising
- Bran an Tuirseach – King of Skellige and Cintra, maternal uncle of Crach an Craite, brother of Eist Tuirseach, and the second husband of Calanthe. Also a close friend to Mousesack
- Brewess, Weavess, and Whispess – the three crone sisters of Crookback Bog
- Caleb Menge – the corrupt, sadistic commander of the Temple Guard
- Caranthir Ar-Feiniel and Imlerith – Eredin Bréacc Glas’ generals
- Carduin – a council member of the Brotherhood of Sorcerers during the Thanedd coup. His neutral stance allowed him to survive the incident
- Carlo Varese – also known as Clever. A dwarf crime boss who leads a gang of dwarven criminals in Novigrad
- Casimir Bassi – a dwarven demolitions expert in Alness
- Cerys an Craite – also known as Sparrowhawk. Daughter of Crach an Craite and sister of Hjalmar
- Chapelle – the former eminence grise of Hierarch Cyrus Engelkind Hemmelfart and the head of Novigard’s secret service, known for maintaining law and order through any means necessary
- Corinne Tilly – a sorceress who helps Geralt in Novigrad as he searches for Ciri
- Count Beledal – a Koviri noble who uses a curious device to record his excursion, then later paints them
- Crach an Craite – a nephew of King Bran of Skellige who was mentored by Eist Tuirseach, king of Cintra. Later takes the role as Jarl and ruler of the Skellige Islands
- Damian de la Tour – a dedicated captain of the Ducal Guard, and devoted personal guard to Duchess Anna Henrietta
- Dettlaff van der Eretein – a higher vampire who rescued Regis after the assault on Stygga castle
- Donar an Hindar – the jarl of Hindarsfjall
- Dudu – real name Tellico Lunngrevink Letorte, also known as Penstock. A doppler who lives in Novigrad
- Elihal – an elver tailor who sews and sells the latest fashion trends in Novigrad
- Emhyr var Emreis – the ruthless interpreter of the Nilfgaardian Empire who ruled with aggressive, expansionist policies
- Eredin Bréacc Glas – known to the unicorns as ‘Sparrowhark’. An Aen Elle and leader of an elven cavalry called Daerg Ruadhri. Taking the title of the King of the Wild Hunt, Eredin pursues Ciri with the aid of his generals Caranthir Ar-Feiniel and Imlerith
- Ermion – a druid turned Hierophant of the Skellige Circle commonly known as Mousesack
- Eskel – a calm and reasonable witcher, and a close friend of Geralt since their childhood in Kaer Morhen
- Eveline Gallo – an acrobat in The Falling Stars’ Wandering Circus who specialises in tight-rope walking and rhythmic gymnastics
- Ewald Borsodi – a ‘herbalist’ and brother to Horst Borsodi
- Felicia Cori – a young aspiring sorceress who studies at the magical academy of Aretuza
- Folan – son of Ulf and close comrade to Hjalmar
- Francais Bedlam – The King of Beggars and one of the four underworld bosses of Novigrad
- Fringilla Vigo – a Nilfgaardian sorceress and member of the Lodge of Sorceresses
- Fugas – a sylvan who serves the Crones and acts as a gatekeeper in the cave under Bald Mountain
- Gaunter O’Dimm – a mysterious ‘merchant’ who goes by many names, including Master Mirror or the Man of Glass
- Ge’els – a loyal and charismatic general to Eredin
- Graden – a witch hunter in King Radovid’s service
- Graham – a fisherman who lives in the village of Oreton to the north of Velen
- Guillaume de Launfal – a knight errant and ‘placard boy’ for Toussaint
- Halbjorn – nephew to the jarl of Faroe, Holgar Blackhand, and one of the claimants to Skellige’s crown
- Hendrik – a Nilfgaardian spy in Velen
- The Hermit at Lac Célavyv – a hermit who lived on the isle on Lac Célavy and became the guardian of the duchy’s Five Principle Virtues
- Hjalmar an Craite – the son oc Crach an Craite who fell in love with Ciri
- Hjort – a druid based in Spikeroog’s Kaer Trolde keep
- Holger Blackhand – the jarl of Faroe and leader of Clan Dimun
- Horst Borsodi – the brother of Ewald Borsodi and owner of The Borsodis’ Auction House
- Hubert Rejk – Novigrad’s coroner
- Hugo Hoff – a professional thief in Oxenfurt
- Irina Renarde – the leader of the mummers’ troupe in Novigrad and a good friend of Dudu
- Iris von Everec – Olgierd’s wife and a talented painter
- Joachim von Gratz – a former student and staff member of Oxenfurt Academy. Went on to serve as chief surgeon at Novigrad’s Vilmerius Hospital
- Johnny – a friendly godling who lives in a burrow in the woods of Velen
- Keira Metz – a sorceress from Caerreras and advisor to King Foltest of Temeria
- Lady of the Lake – a goddess worshipped by the inhabitants of Murky Waters and the Vodyanoi
- Lambert – an adherent to the Wolf School and one of the youngest witchers from Kaer Morhen
- Letho of Gulet – a witcher from the School of the Viper who is also known as the Kingslayer
- Louisa la Valette – mistress to King Foltest of Temeria
- Madman Lugos – jarl of Clan Drummond
- Margarita Laux-Antille – a sorceress and rector of Aretuza
- Milton de Peyrac-Peyran – baron of Toussaint
- Morvran Voorhis – serving general and commander of the Alba Division under Emperor Emhyr
- Nathaniel Pastodi – a reverend of Novigard’s Church of the Eternal Fire and overseer of the city morgue
- Octo – a crazed man also known as The Mad Castaway of Undvik
- Olgierd von Everec – a Redanian noble officer and the current ataman of the ‘Redanian Free Company’
- Orianna – a charismatic noblewoman in Beauclair who owns the La Compassion Orphanage of Toussaint
- Otrygg an Hingar – the grandson of Jarl Donar Hindar and a would-be claimant to Skellige’s throne
- Palmerin de Launfal – a baron of Toussaint
- The Pella – a rural ‘holy man’ or ‘cunning man’ who lives in a hut to the northwest of Blackbough
- Philippa Eilhart – a former advisor to King Vizimir, on the run from witch hunters while she prepares to exact revenge on Radovid
- Phillip Strenger – commonly known as The Bloody Baron. The self-styled Baron of Crow’s Perch and lord of Velen. Husband of Anna and father to Tamara
- Pinastri – a lapsed Eighth Day Flagellant and herbalist who sells alchemy ingredients at Pinastri’s Hermitage
- Premethine Shakeslock – a professor of Oxenfurt Academy who specialises in the study of black magic
- Priscilla – a romantic poet and bard who goes by the stage name of ‘Callonetta’ who embarks on a tour of concerts
- Quinto – a safecracker who resides in Hans of Cidaris’ bandit camp
- Radovid V – the current king of Redania. Son of Vizimir and Hedwig of Malleore, and brother to Dalimira and Milena
- Regis – a powerful, centuries-old higher vampire, and a highly intelligent former barber-surgeon of Dillingen
- Shani – a former student of the Academy of Oxenfurt who went on to serve as a medic in the Redanian Army. She later opens a clinic in Oxenfurt
- Sigismund Dijkstra – a spymaster and head of Redanian Intelligence (secret service)
- Sheala de Tancarville – a sorceress from Creyden and a founding member of the Lodge of Sorceresses who has been held and tortured by witch hunters for some time
- Skjall – a young warrior from Lofoten who nursed Ciri back to health and helped her flee from the Wild Hunt
- Svanrige an Tuirseach – the only son of King Bran and his with Birna. Following his father’s death, he takes the title of the formal leader of clan Tuirseach
- Tamara Strenger – a witch hunter and daughter of the Bloody Baron
- Tavar Eggebracht – the quartermaster of Nilfgaard’s army central camp in Velen
- Thalar – real name Bernard Ducat. A master spy and head of Temerian intelligence
- Udalryk – the Jarl of Clan Brokvar on Spikeroog
- Uma – an unusual small, misshapen creature who seems to be related to Ciri in some way. He can’t speak, other than saying the word ‘uma’, which is how he got his name
- The Unseen Elder – the oldest vampire in all of Toussaint who resides in a cave on the south end of Seidhe Llygad
- Vernon Roche – the commander of the special forces unit of the Temerian military known as the Blue Stripes
- Ves – the only female member of the elite Blue Stripes soldiers
- Vigi the Loon – a boatwright who joined Hjalmar’s expedition to kill the ice giant
- Vimme Vivaldi – a dwarven banker residing in Novigrad
- Vivienne de Tabris – one of Duchess Anna Henrietta’s ladies-in-waiting
- Vlodimir von Everec – the deceased brother of Olgierd and a former member of the Wild Ones
- Vserad – a former lord of Velen who fled to Fyke Isle with his daughter during the Nilfgaardian invasion
- Whoreson Junior – real name Cyprian Wiley. One of Novigrad’s most dangerous criminals
- Zoltan Chivay – a dwarven veteran of the second Nilfgaard War, and a long-time friend of Geralt. In the Witcher 3, he appears as Dandelion (Jaskier)’s partner in business, running their tavern ‘Rosemary and Thyme’