So, you want to know how to beat Team Go Rocket boss Giovanni in Pokémon Go this month? Well, you’re in the right place. Pokémon Go’s Giovanni made his return in November 2021 with legendary Shadow Lugia by his side. He’s possibly the toughest Team Go Rocket member to beat, but with the right counters and the know-how on what his weaknesses are, you’ll defeat him in no time. Luckily, we’ve put all that together for you right here.
In this Giovanni counter guide, we outline the best Pokémon team to take into battle. We’ve also listed the rewards you receive for defeating Giovanni, as well as how to level up your Ultra Hero medal, unlocking some nice new clothing along the way. Check out our Pokémon Go promo codes while you’re here if you need some freebies.
Now, let’s get into the best counters for Pokémon Go’s Giovanni.
What are the best Pokémon Go Giovanni counters for Persian?
Giovanni will always use Persian as his first Pokémon. Luckily, Persian is a normal-type Pokémon meaning it’s weak to fighting moves and so the counters below are great choices.
- Lucario – Counter and Power-up Punch or Aura Sphere
- Machamp – Counter and Cross Chop or Dynamic Punch
- Conkeldurr – Counter and Dynamic Punch or Focus Blast
- Rhyperior – Mud Slap and Stone Edge or Rock Wrecker
- Tyranitar – Smack Down and Crunch or Stone Edge
What are the best Pokémon Go Giovanni counters for Nidoking?
Nidoking is a Pokémon that’s weak to ground, ice, psychic, and water-types. To beat it, we recommend any of the following to take into battle.
- Mewtwo – Psycho Cut and Psychic
- Rhyperior – Mud Slap and Rock Wrecker
- Glaceon – Ice Shard and Avalanche
What are the best Pokémon Go Giovanni counters for Kingdra?
Kingdra is weak to dragon and fairy-type moves, meaning you should take advantage of that with these choices and unleash some strong damage against.
- Dragonite – Dragon Tail and Dragon Claw
- Gardevoir – Charm and Dazzling Gleam
- Salamence – Dragon Tail and Outrage
What are the best Pokémon Go Giovanni counters for Kingler?
The Kingler that Giovanni uses is weak to electric and grass-type moves. Here are the counters we recommend.
- Electivire – Thunder Shock and Wild Charge
- Magnezone – Spark and Wild Charge
- Ampharos – Volt Switch and Thunder Punch
What are the best Pokémon Go Giovanni counters for Shadow Regice?
Finally, you need to take on Shadow Regice and for this Pokémon, its weaknesses are fighting, fire, rock, and steel-type moves, so any of the below options are great picks for your team.
- Conkeldurr – Counter and Dynamic Punch
- Machamp – Counter and Cross Chop
- Reshiram – Fire Fang and Fusion Flare
What rewards do I get for beating Pokémon Go’s Giovanni?
You get a whole bunch of rewards for defeating Pokémon Go’s Giovanni. For starters, you get 5,000 Stardust and an assortment of items, including max potions and max revives. A win also helps level up your Ultra Hero medal, which counts up how many times you defeat the boss of Team Go Rocket.
As mentioned, you’ll level up your Ultra Hero medal every time you defeat Giovanni. When you defeat him enough times, you unlock more clothing which we’ve listed below. So, if you’re looking to kit yourself out and you’ve assembled the ultimate team to take him down, then it might be worth investing some time.
- Defeat Giovanni five times + silver badge level – unlocks shoes
- Defeat Giovanni five times + silver badge level – unlocks pants
- Defeat Giovanni 20 times + gold badge level – unlocks shirt
- Defeat Giovanni 20 times + gold badge level – unlocks gloves
And that’s everything you need to know about defeating Pokémon Go’s Giovanni. For more content like this, we recommend you head over to our Pokémon Go event, Pokémon Go raid, Pokédex, and Pokémon Go best Pokémon guides.