Look, we all know that Misdreavus’s evolution is a formidable Pokémon and is sure to make a solid addition to any team, but the question remains: how do you evolve the stage one Pokémon into Mismagius? Well, we’re no strangers to the many regions of Pokémon, so we’re well-versed in special evolutions at this point.
Before we tell you how to evolve Misdreavus, allow us to help you fill out your Pokédex with our Rellor evolution, Salandit evolution, Rockruff evolution, Wurmple evolution, and Dreepy evolution guides. Or, for specific tips on how to beat the different types of ‘mon, check out our dark Pokémon weakness, psychic Pokémon weakness, and ghost Pokémon weakness articles. The latter is very helpful if you want to beat Misdreavus or Mismagius in battle.
Anyway, here’s what you need to know about Misdreavus evolution.
What is Midreavus’ evolution?
Misdreavus evolves into Mismagius, a gen 4 Pokémon that stands tall as one of the best spooky Pokémon you can come across. Honestly, we have a fond spot for this ghostly creature.
Where can I get Misdreavus?
Before you worry about how to evolve Misdreavus, you need to have one. Luckily for you, we’re on hand to tell you exactly where this ghost-type resides in each of the Pokémon games on Nintendo Switch:
- Brilliant Diamond – you need to trade with a player that has Shining Pearl as Misdreavus and Mismagius are exclusive ‘mon
- Shing Pearl – you can find Misdreavus in Eterna Forest, Lost Tower (at night), and in the Grand Underground (Dazzling Cave and Stargleam Cavern)
- Legends: Arceus – Coronet Highlands (Celestica Ruins at night, Sacred Plaza at night, and Stonetooth Rows at night) and Alabaster Icelands (Avalanche Slopes at night, Glacier Terrace, Icepeak Cavern, and Ice Cavern Column Chamber)
- Scarlet – you need to trade with someone who owns Violet as Misdreavus and Mismagius are exclusives
- Violet – South Province (Area One, Area Two, Area Three, Area Four, Area Five, Area Saix), East Province (Area Two and Tagtree Thicket), West Province (Area One), North Province (Dalizapa Passage and Glaseado Mountain), and Terra Raid Battles
How do I evolve Misdreavus?
As a gen 2 Pokémon, Misdreavus has been confusing trainers for years when it comes to its evolution; it seems no matter how strong you make this little ‘mon, it doesn’t ascend to its second and final stage. Well, that’s because, in a similar vein to the likes of Eevee, Pikachu, Clefairy, Vulpix, Growlithe, and Kirlia (male), you need to use a stone to evolve Misdreavus.
More specifically, you need to use a dusk stone. How you get your hands on this stone depends on which game you play. For the switch games, you can get them in the following ways:
- Sword and Shield – you can find one in Stow-on-Side, or try your luck at looking for one at the Lake of Outrage in the wild area. Oh, and let’s not forget the digging duo stationed near the wild area nursery in Bridge Field; they can both dig up a dusk stone.
- Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl – You can find one in the Galactic Warehouse and along Victory Road. Alternatively, if you have a Pokémon with the pickup ability, they may find one for you.
- Legends Arceus – You can get one from Vanessa in exchange for finding 30 wisps. Or, you can purchase one from the trading post in Jubilife Village for 1,200 MP, try your luck in the space-time distortions, and look at the black ore deposits in Alabaster Icelands.
- Scarlet and Violet – there are numerous ways to get a dusk stone in gen nine, including the Porto Marinada auction, Area Zero, West Province (Area One), and Montenevera. Plus, you can get one if you catch 130 Pokémon.
When you have your dusk stone, give it to Misdreavus, then it will evolve into Mismagius. It’s that simple, and now you have one of the best ghost Pokémon out there.
How do I evolve Misdreavus in Pokémon Go?
While you do need to use candies to evolve Misdreavus in Pokémon Go, that’s not all you need to get Mismagius. Instead, you need to use 100 candies and a Sinnoh stone. If you need help in getting a stone, the best method is to claim research breakthrough rewards and participate in trainer battles.
With that, you know how to evolve Misdreavus. Should you need to know how to evolve Rilou, how to evolve Primeape, how to evolve Charcadet, and how to evolve Pawmo, we can help you with those, too. Or, if you want our opinion instead of our help per se, check out our picks for the best fairy Pokémon, fire Pokémon, dark Pokémon, and electric Pokémon.