Genshin Impact has caused quite the stir thanks to its gorgeous visuals, expansive open world, and compelling sense of adventure. It's been a long time coming, but developer miHoYo has delivered a cross-platform co-op RPG unlike any other, combining the liberating exploration of Breath of the Wild with some tried-and-true gacha progression.
It's an ambitious game with a lot of interconnected systems that you'll have to learn in order to maximise your combat and levelling efficiency. There's also a giant roster of heroes to collect and upgrade, each with their own combat styles to master. And outside of the open-world and dungeon-based encounters, you'll definitely have to get to grips with the game's cooking and crafting systems.
The problem is that Genshin Impact isn't always forthcoming with important info, including how to unlock co-op and whether you can transfer your progress to another platform. So we've assembled this here Genshin Impact guide to make sure that you put your best foot forward when entering the stunning world of Teyvat.
EVERYTHING in our GENSHIN IMPACT guide:
How do I download on iOS and android?
We have a handy Genshin Impact download guide to help you play the game on your platform of choice.
When is Genshin Impact coming to Nintendo Switch?
Genshin Impact is indeed heading to Nintendo Switch, but a firm release date has yet to be announced.
The port was revealed well into the game’s development, so chances are that Nintendo fans will have to wait until next year to grab Genshin Impact on Switch. That said, it may well arrive at an earlier date.
Is Genshin Impact coming to XBox?
When sharing news on a future Genshin Impact update, developer miHoYo announced that it currently has no plans for a Genshin Impact Xbox port.
How do I level up my Adventure Rank?
Here’s why your Genshin Impact Adventure Rank is important:
- Your Adventure Rank is arguably your most important stat in Genshin Impact. It highlights your overall progress and is separate to the levels of your individual characters
- It’s also what determines which key features you’ll have access to and what your World Level is. Certain Abyssal Domains, essentially the game’s dungeons, also have strict Adventure Level requirements
- The initial story quests should be your primary focus if you want to level-up quickly
- The other great way to earn Adventure Rank is by performing the daily commissions, which unlock at Adventure Rank 12. If you complete a four dailies, you also get a bonus reward.
- You can also earn Adventure Rank experience from most things, whether unlocking fast travel points, or opening chests
- Every time you hit a new level, you’ll be offered a reward back at the Adventurers’ Guild. Be sure to check back at the guild regularly to see what you’ve earned
- The max Adventure Rank in the current version of Genshin Impact is 60, which will no doubt take dozens of hours to hit
How do I earn primogems?
Primogems are an essential currency in Genshin Impact that you need to spend wisely:
- Primogems are relatively easy to earn early on, and they should be used to create Acquaint Fate or Intertwined Fate, the items required to perform summons, known here as Wishes
- You’ll net a decent number of Primogems through standard play, by opening chests, as well as completing commissions, and Adventure Ranks. but if you find yourself struggling to earn enough, you could always pay $4.99 for the Welkin’s Blessing, which gives you a certain number per day – provided you log in
- You can also exchange Genesis Crystals for Primogems, which is useful if you don’t have enough for a wish
- We also have a Genshin Impact codes list full of freebies!
Acquaint Fate: Standard wishes
Acquaint Fate is one of Genshin Impact’s most important currencies:
- Acquaint Fate is used to make standard wishes from within the ‘Wishes’ menu. It can be earned by completing quests and leveling up, created by combining Primogems, as well as being purchasable in Paimon’s Bargains for Stardust and Starglitter
- Always go for 10x summons as opposed to single summons. This is a far more cost-efficient way to earn guaranteed high-level characters and gear
Intertwined Fate: Limited-time event wishes
Intertwined Fate is a slightly more specialised in-game currency:
- Intertwined Fate can be used to make limited-time event wishes
- Much like Acquaint Fate, you can create an Intertwined Fate by combining a set amount of Primogems, or purchase in Paimon’s Bargains for Starglitter and Stardust
how do I earn Stardust?
Wishes often give random rewards, which means that you’ll inevitably end up with duplicate weapons. Here’s why that’s not necessarily a huge problem:
- Stardust can be earned by pulling a rank-3 duplicate weapon or higher, and use in Paimon’s Bargains in the shop
- Do not waste your Stardust on lesser currencies, as these can be more easily obtained through normal play
How do I raise friendship?
Each of the 30 characters in Genshin Impact has a friendship level, which you can increase by gaining companion XP. Here’s how:
- Once you hit Adventure Rank 12, you can increase friendship by gaining companion XP
- Complete Commission Quests, dungeons, and random events to gain companion XP with your current party of four
- Gain companion XP to level up friendship with each character and reveal lore about that character
What are the Genshin Impact Elements?
Mastering the elements is the key to powerful attacks in Genshin Impact. Enemies are weak to certain elements, so you’ll want to master the use of both elements and the environment to pull of the most powerful attacks. Below is a list of Elemental Reactions for Genshin Impact.
- Elements: Pyro, Dendro
- Effects: Pyro damage over time
- Elements: Pyro, Electro
- Effects: AOE Pyro attack
- Elements: Pyro, Geo
- Effects: Fire shield that burns enemies
- Elements: Pyro, Hydro
- Effects: Additional damage
- Elements: Pyro, Cryo
- Effects: Additional damage
- Elements: Cryo, Electro
- Effects: AoE Cryo attack. Lowers enemy physical resistance by 50%
- Elements: Cryo, Geo
- Effects: Increase CRIT chances
- Elements: Cryo, Anemo
- Effects: Bypass enemy defences
- Elements: Cryo, Hydro
- Effects: Freezes enemy
- Elements: Electro, Hydro
- Effects: Electro damage over time
- Elements: Hydro, Dendro
- Effects: AOE poison attack
- Elements: Geo, Hydro
- Effects: Slows enemy movement and attack speed
- Elements: Geo, Dendro
- Effects: Bleed, creates traps that cause damage
- Elements: Geo, Cryo / Electro / Hydro / Pyro
- Effects: Grants a crystal shield
- Elements: Anemo, Geo
- Effects: Knocks back enemies
- Elements: Cryo / Electro / Hydro / Pyro, Anemo
- Effects: Additional elemental damage, AOE
What are element combos?
You’ll gain the benefit of these buffs by having members with the corresponding element combos in your party
- Elements: Geo, Geo
- Effects: Improves party resistance to interruption, increases attack damage by 15% when shielded
- Elements: Pyro, Pyro
- Effects: Decreases the impact Cryo has on your party by 40%, increases attack by 25%
- Elements: Hydro, Hydro
- Effects: Decreases the impact Pyro has on your party by 40%, increases healing by 30%
- Elements: Anemo, Anemo
- Effects: Lowers your party’s stamina consumption by 15%, increases movement speed by 10%, shortens skill CD by 5%
- Elements: Electro, Electro
- Effects: Decreases the impact Hydro has on your party by 40%. Superconduct, Overloaded, and Electro-Charged have a 100% chance to generate an Electro Elemental Particle
- Elements: Cryo, Cryo
- Effects: Decreases the impact Electro has on your party by 40% and increases critical rate by 15% towards enemies impacted by Cryo
- Elements: Any 4 unique elements (e.g Cryo, Electro, Hydro, Pyro)
- Effects: Increases all Elemental resistance by 15%
Where can I find a Genshin Impact map?
Genshin Impact’s map is huge and packed with points of interest to seek out:
- Genshin Impact’s map is nice to look at, but it’s also perfect for exploration and treasure-hunting. When you’re out and about, be sure to search for hidden treasure chests and ingredients at any given opportunity
- The in-game map allows you to place markers. This can be super helpful when you need to return to a specific area at a later time. For example, if an out-of-reach treasure chest is giving you some bother, just throw down a little marker and return to it at a later time
- Another incredibly useful resource is this interactive map. It highlights where you can find every Anemoculus, Geoculus, Shrine, Statue of the Seven, Teleporter, World Quest, and more
Tips, tricks, and cheats
Here we round up some Genshin Impact tips and tricks:
- Spending money: as far as gacha games go, Genshin Impact is fairly generous with its dolling out of essential currency, loot, and characters. If you’re smart about spending your Primogems and Stardust, you likely won’t feel the need to spend anything at all for the first couple dozen hours or more
- Primogems and Stardust: these are two of the most useful currency types in Genshin Impact, as they can be used to purchase Acquaint Fate or Intertwined Fate, the items required to buy Wishes. Do not spend them on anything other than Wishes unless you absolutely must
- Explore thoroughly: Genshin Impact’s open world is packed with hidden chests, ingredients, and basically everything you’ll need to excel. Therefore, it’s essential that you don’t just rush through each new area in a bid to complete the next story mission. Doing so will just result in you hitting the game’s roadblocks faster, such as the entry requirements for later missions and dungeons. You can also place pins on your map should you wish to return to a specific area at a later time
- Level your party: speaking of entry requirements, it’s important that you level your party equally in order to remain competitive in combat and capable of gaining access to the higher-level Abyssal Domains
- Get experimental in combat: the worst thing you can possibly do in combat is stick to a single character. Genshin Impact wants you to make use of your entire party, and you’ll be punished for failing to experiment, especially in later missions or higher-level areas. Plus, it’s just way more fun to jump between each character and pull off spectacular elemental combos
- Build your party: again, you really need to experiment with your party build if you want to remain effective in combat. Be sure to pick four varied characters, which is easy to do given that they mostly fit into clear roles, such as tank, archer, mage, etc
HOW do I play with friends?
Here’s how Genshin Impact’s multiplayer works:
- In order to unlock Genshin Impact’s multiplayer component, you first have to reach Adventure Rank 16 and complete some introductory quests
- Up to 4 players can join the same game, one has to act as the host, and you all have to play on the same server
- Genshin Impact is not an MMO, so don’t expect to see dozens of players running around. That said, you do have the option to explore the game’s world and dungeons in co-op. This should hopefully make some of the trickier combat encounters more manageable
- If you do decide to jump into another player’s world, your own will remain untouched when you return to it. And if you want a fully single-player experience, you can just ignore the co-op gameplay and go it alone
- Future updates will continue to expand Genshin Impact’s world and seasonal events, though PvP isn’t currently a priority for miHoYo
How do I carry my progress across platforms?
Carrying your progress between platforms in Genshin Impact is pretty simple:
- Genshin Impact allows you to continue your adventure across multiple platforms. You can easily jump between the PC, Android, and iOS versions by logging in to your miHoYo account
- However, due to PSN restrictions, you won’t be able to transfer your PS4 progress to other platforms, which is definitely something to bear in mind when you decide where exactly you want to play
How do I play with friends on other platforms?
Genshin Impact’s crossplay feature is surprisingly straightforward:
- Genshin Impact offers full crossplay support, allowing you to play together with friends on different platforms
- As mentioned above, you need to be at least Adventure Rank 16 and have completed the required intro quests. You will also need to play on the same server as your friends
How do i sign in to my miHoYo account?
Here’s how to sign in to your miHoYo account and why it’s important to do so:
- Not long after booting up Genshin Impact on PC, iOS, or Android, you’ll be asked to sign in to a miHoYo account. This is what allows you to transfer your progress between these three platforms
- However, PS4 players do not have this option and aren’t required to sign in to a miHoYo account
- Genshin Impact has been accused of installing spyware onto PCs as a means of extracting user data. The anti-cheat programme was spotted running even after the game was turned off or uninstalled
- Developer miHoYo has responded by releasing an update that will stop the programme from running when the game is closed or uninstalled